Design Manager (Preconstruction)
Our client is a long-established and multi-award winning national main contractor with regional offices throughout the UK. Privately owned and renowned for its innovation and commitment to delivery on time and on budget, they specialise in new build and refurbishment projects within the Commercial, Education, Healthcare, Leisure and Residential sectors, ranging from £3m to £40m+ in value.
As a company they have instilled a real focus on empowering their staff to be decision-makers and encouraging an ethos of learning and sharing from one another to the betterment of the projects and the company as a whole. Internal promotion is also a key motivator for the company and there are several examples of staff who have progressed through the ranks in to senior management and director level roles.
As a tier 1 contractor on several of the long-term national frameworks, they are now looking to make several key hires within a new regional office in Hampshire that undertakes projects across the M4 Corridor and the Southern Home Counties.
Working within the 'Win’ team, the role of a Design Manager is to provide leadership and management of the design process and allocated resources.
Key responsibilities of a Design Manager include:
- Compliance and achievement of Group, Division, LCO, project, procedures, personal targets and initiatives
- Manage the design process and promote integration of disciplines
- Select, manage and appoint consultants to ensure that they perform in line with their deed and agreed scope of services
- Overview, monitor and report on design programmes
- Provide technical support to the bid process
- Ensure designs meet all necessary statutory and regulatory approvals and are recorded on appropriate tracking logs
- To conduct their role in a way which is consistent with the company’s sustainability objectives
- Develop designs that utilise innovative techniques
- Provide leadership, training and guidance to design coordinators
- To deliver the design required to meet the start on site dates in line with the management account
- Assist in the recruitment and induction of new design staff
- Constantly reinforce and deliver the company’s customer first ethic
The ideal candidate is likely to be a Design Manager with another top 10 national main contractor or an experienced Design Coordinator looking to make the step up. Candidates currently working client-side with transferrable skills and experience will also be considered. Experience working as part of (or alongside if a consultant) the design team successfully securing projects of a similar size and nature is essential.
The successful candidate will have a relevant degree ideally, although a minimum level 4 qualification (HNC / NVQ4 etc.) would be considered. A relevant professional membership would also be preferred. With this being a predominantly office-based role, access to the office in Hampshire is important as well as to sites across the M4 Corridor and the Southern Home Counties.
The role of Design Manager comes with a salary of £55,000-£65,000 plus a company car or car allowance, travel expenses, healthcare and pension, with various additional add-ons / supplements also available.