Engineering Manager - parcel sortation & conveyor systems
Think Specialist Recruitment is working with a market-leading, international parcel and logistics business to recruit an Engineering Manager to manage the engineering activity at a new hub, close to Heathrow Greater London area. Taking ownership of circa £20 million of engineering assets that handle circa 65,000 parcels daily, managing both internal resources and external system suppliers, we are looking for candidates with a minimum of 2 years' engineering management experience, ideally within a parcel handling/baggage handling/logistics/airport operations/conveyor systems company or from a machine/equipment manufacturer that produces similar assets.
Salary circa £40,000 to £50,000 + car/car allowance + bonus + excellent benefits
- This new combined Heathrow Hub contains approximately £23M of engineering assets including an automated parcel sorting machine with x-ray systems.
- In addition to the main sorter there is an automated small parcel / flyer sorter. Automated Barcode reading, image capture and weight and volume measurement systems are also an integral part of the system. The maximum combined system capacity is approx 30,000 pieces per hour.
- Due to the complexity of the sorter control systems, a systems support group has been provided by the system supplier plus 3 employed maintenance technicians.
- The role holder must be prepared to accept full responsibility for all aspects of engineering on the Heathrow site. This becomes critical during breakdown situations.
- Customer cut-off times are critical to securing current and future business. The Heathrow Hub equipment must be maintained to the highest levels to ensure availability in an environment of very tight time and cost control.
- Engineering support planning (system support group contract/s, resource, holiday & sickness cover etc) need to be planned well in advance. (Holiday & peak period in particular)
- Failure to ensure that there are adequately trained staff or the correct maintenance systems in place, including spares, could result in major breakdowns and catastrophic service failures
- There are significant Health & Safety risks associated with engineering equipment. It is the Engineering Managers responsibility to ensure the equipment is being maintained to the required standards.
- Oversee, via shift supervisors, the maintenance of assets by the in-house systems support and maintenance teams.
- Ensure appropriate 24/7 support contracts are in place with main equipment suppliers.
- Lead the resolution of issues of sub-optimal safety, quality, reliability and cost performance.
- Co-ordinate activities during major equipment breakdowns, communicate with Senior Ops Managers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key equipment suppliers, service providers.
- Ensure that all equipment meets relevant Health & Safety requirements.
- Work closely with Procurement on supplier development and to maximise cost savings
- Develop innovative technical solutions and suggestions to improve equipment performance and create additional revenue.
- Knowledgeable about the latest planned maintenance techniques.
- Minimum 2/3 years of engineering management experience in a similar operation in parcel handling or FMCG/manufacturing - conveyor systems
- Technically competent in all aspects of the relevant automation and with good knowledge of current legislation and maintenance best practice.
- Familiar with the use of Computerised Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), preferably MAXIMO.
- Strong problem-solving skills coupled with the personality to drive through solutions while under pressure.
If you have the relevant skills and experience to be considered for this role, please apply now or contact Chris Jones at Think Specialist Recruitment for further information.
Looking for the next step in your career? Think Specialist Recruitment