Research Associate - Funds of Funds & Secondaries Research Team
"An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Research Associate to join Preqin’s Funds of Funds & Secondaries research team."
Preqin is an award-winning independent research company and a leading provider of data and intelligence to the alternative asset industry. Headquartered in London, we are rapidly growing and have an increasingly global reach with offices in New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong and Manila.
Preqin’s clients include some of the world’s largest fund managers, investment banks, legal firms, institutional investors, financial advisors, placement agents and service providers within the financial services industry. Key decision-makers at these firms rely on Preqin’s services daily, and the company’s data is regularly quoted by the financial press.
Fund of funds managers (FoFs) straddle the gap between fund manager and allocator, both selecting underlying funds for their portfolios and fundraising from other investors who seek specialist access to the asset class. Preqin’s FoFs and secondaries team strives to ensure that our coverage of the private equity and real assets universe is as accurate, up to date and comprehensive as possible. In this role, you will have the chance to engage with key stakeholders in a unique and evolving industry.
Your main focus will be on contacting and forming relationships with FoFs in order to obtain information on their activities both as a fund manager and an investor. You will be monitoring and liaising with contacts at a set group of fund managers and you will be representing Preqin when engaging with these industry experts.
You will be directly responsible for the collation and production of accurate, high quality data and information on Preqin’s Online Investor product and Secondary Market Monitor, both comprehensive sources of intelligence on the alternative assets industry. Our clients expect and depend on our data to be of the highest quality - something you will be expected to contribute towards.
This is a research-based role in which you will be required to skilfully and enthusiastically ascertain objective, unbiased information from fund managers, which will ultimately be used by our clients to help inform their investment decisions. If you are looking for a job which involves subjectively analysing and recommending stocks or making portfolio management decisions on behalf of your clients, you will not be suited to this role.
- You will spend time telephoning and emailing fund managers to obtain valuable, private information that is used by our client.
- You will establish and maintain professional, working relationships with key industry experts both locally and globally.
- To support information gained through direct contact with managers, you will locate, track and make use of a variety of online and public sources to gather relevant information on industry entities and events.
- To connect our clients with the data you have acquired, you will update our Investor Online database and Secondary Market Monitor with key financial information, statistics and analysis.
- Using Preqin’s "house style", you will produce detailed company profiles based on information you obtain.
- In support of our database, you will contribute commentary and analysis towards critical research reports, blogs and publications.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; able to effectively communicate with high level executives via phone and email.
- Relevant work experience in a research-led environment is desirable.
- Excellent research abilities, being able to exhibit persistence, patience and a keen eye for detail to successfully gather valuable information.
- A keen interest in the Private Equity and Real Assets industries.
- Proactive approach to dealing with issues, investigating anomalies and a desire to get to the bottom of a problem.
- Strong team player with the ability and enthusiasm to work independently.
- Diligence to meet targets and quality standards.
- Business proficiency in German, French, Portuguese or Spanish is highly desirable.
Preqin offers a competitive remuneration package with the basic salary of £24,000 per annum, along with a quarterly performance related bonus worth upwards of £2,000 per annum and an annual company bonus. Consistently high-performing team members can expect elevated performance bonuses and other benefits such as the opportunity to travel.
In addition to the competitive remuneration package, Preqin also offers:
- Sponsored study to undertake professional training or to gain a qualification relevant to your career progression
- A pension plan under auto-enrolment. After one year of service the company will enhance employer contributions to match on a one for one basis up to 10% of annual salary
- Share scheme - with an annual allocation to those with over one year of service
- Free access to gym and swimming pool in the office building
- An interest-free season ticket loan on completion of probation (which is normally 3 months)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers