Assistant Catering Manager
Do you want a job surrounded by idyllic landscapes, which helps support an historic home used by Prime Ministers as well as housing wartime secrets?
Do you want to take your first steps into working for a nationwide charity with limitless avenues of opportunity?
Do you enjoy giving great customer service and extolling the virtues of home baked cakes, freshly cooked meals and food that you’ve prepared?
If so then working in catering at Hughenden Manor could be for you. We have opportunities for you to join and help manage our team, primarily for shifts from 10am until 6pm.
What it's like to work here
The country home of Victorian Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli, Hughenden Manor is an impressive red brick mansion surrounded by rolling parkland. The team manages a visionary visitor experience, which has won awards for its forward-thinking approach to display and storytelling. The spectacular gardens include formal displays, as well as a walled kitchen garden which supplies produce to the café. Hughenden Manor is situated a short distance from High Wycombe and local transport links are excellent.
What you'll be doing
Your primary roles and responsibilities will be:
- Primarily to assist the Catering Manager in running and improving Catering at Hughenden as well as line manage the hourly paid catering staff. This will also involve a joint effort of building the monthly staff rota and inputting the data into a Labour tool to compare staff levels with expected turn over.
- To be the contact for staff to bring issues to before escalating to the Catering Manager..
- Ensure the day to day and week to week running and management of the operations at Hughenden go smoothly.
- Have oversight of stock control including monthly and weekly stocktakes, supplier ordering through our NAV system and input into the seasonal cookbook choices.
- Ensure best practice is being followed within the team, such as barista work, sandwich making, clean down process and record management.
- Consider areas of improvement within our catering department, especially with the new outlet.
- Achieve great scores in STS Audits, council visits, seasonal scorecard visits and correct any actions highlighted from previous inspections.
- Ensure that the cause of the Trust is portrayed and explained to customers and how buying our products directly contributes to the conservation at Hughenden Manor.
- Deputise for the Catering Manager in his absence, such as giving updates on performance at Head Of Department (HOD’s) meetings.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to;
- Have good people management skills, including setting personal objectives and providing feedback
- Have good people skills enabling effective relationships externally and internally to be built and maintained
- Have good written and verbal communication skills including influencing and negotiating
- Be willing to embrace central initiatives in menu development and procedures
- Have a proven track record of delivering exceptional customer service
- Have a track record of developing the catering offer and achieving performance targets
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking