We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England`s motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It`s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we`re so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Main Purpose of Role
This is an exciting opportunity for a finance professional. The successful candidate will be joining the central finance accounting team based in the Cube, Birmingham. The financial accounting team pride themselves on producing sets of accounts which are accurate and aligned to the latest accounting policies. A great deal of teamwork is involved in the role, both for the internal team, primarily for producing the accounts, but also the wider team related to communicating accounting guidance.
This role will support the financial accounting manager with the periodic reporting, primarily the production of the quarter end and year end accounts.This role will also lead the month end close down process ensuring that reconciliations are accurate and improvements are made where possible.
- To produce the primary statements and notes to the accounts, including checking and challenging business submissions;
- To maintain and update the annual and quarterly accounts model;
- To provide guidance and advice to Highways England staff on accounting requirements particularly in relation to the application of accounting standards;
- To produce and disseminate monthly reports on consolidated accruals, prepayments, retentions and debtors for the business;
- To carry out and review general ledger reconciliations as and when required;
- To review and approve all general ledger journals;
- To work collaboratively with the management accounts team to align financial and management accounts reporting;
- To complete periodic returns for the DfT finance;
- To provide external auditors with general ledger information during interim and final audits; and
- To complete ad hoc tasks/projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements within an accountancy role;
- Experience of working in a large complex organisation; and
- Working knowledge of accounting standards.
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
- An accounting qualification such as ACA, CIMA, ACCA or CIPFA;
- Proficiency in a range of office software products to enable production / maintenance of a range of complex documents, spreadsheets and management reports;
- A strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements in a customer focussed organisation; and
- Knowledge of Oracle is desirable.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You`re also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We`re expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.