HE Student Advisor
Chichester College has an exciting opportunity for a HE Student Advisor to join the team based at our Chichester & Brinsbury campuses on a full time basis working 37 hours per week. The successful HE Student Advisor will receive a competitive salary of £18,358 - £20,068 per annum.
Chichester College is the largest provider of further education in West Sussex. In 2014 the college was judged as Outstanding by Ofsted in all four areas, Outcomes for Learners, Teaching, Learning & Assessment, Leadership and Management and Overall Effectiveness. 8 out of 9 curriculum areas inspected were judged to be outstanding. We are a key provider of education and employment to those in our local communities and make a critical contribution to local economic development. We were established in Chichester in 1964 and also have a 570 acre land-based provision on our Brinsbury campus near Pulborough. We employ over 1,250 full and part-time staff.
As our HE Student Advisor you will support and motivate our HE learners to achieve their full potential. You will be able to give advice and guidance both in 1:1 and group settings.
Key Responsibilities as our HE Student Advisor
- Provide academic skill support to individual learners to encourage personal evaluation, reflection and target setting.
- Rigorously track and monitor the attendance of each student within a cohort of tutees and, where necessary, take appropriate action to rectify poor individual performance. This will / may include sustained liaison with the student.
- Identify student needs and signpost appropriate support services to aid achievement such as DSA, student finance, counselling services and accommodation.
- Liaise with subject teachers, course leaders and Heads of Learning on ensuring compliance with the academic appeals process.
- Promote the enhancement of student learning and the academic and vocational value of courses.
- Represent the student voice, chair and or attend staff student liaison committees, Higher Education Conference, Higher Education Committee, Widening Participation Committee.
- Support new students during taster days and fresher week.
- Provide an end of year annual monitoring report on the impact of the HE student voice in forming policy, procedure and HE strategy.
- Support and build a vibrant, dynamic HE learning community, leading academic study groups in the new HE Seminar suite.
- Develop a widening participation programme.
- Support students transitioning from year 1 to year 2 of study, progressing to university or employment.
Skills & Experience required of HE Student Advisor:
- Studied at higher education level
- Level 4 qualification (or equivalent)
- Information, Advice and Guidance or PTTLS qualification (Desirable)
- You will be an effective communicator, able to relate to students at all levels, and have proven organisation and time management skills
- Experience of supporting learners both pastorally and academically is essential
- Experience delivering learning advice to students in a 1:1 or group situation
- Administrative experience
Benefits of working with Chichester College:
- Competitive salary and holiday benefits.
- All staff are eligible to join the Local Government or Teachers’ final salary pension schemes.
- Opportunities for career and professional development.
- Recognition schemes including Star Team and Chairman’s Award.
- Occupational maternity, paternity, shared parental and adoption benefits.
- Through Sodexho, the College has a Childcare Voucher Scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Gym membership is available at a discounted price for staff.
- Discounted rates for the College’s Hair and Beauty salon and access to the training restaurant for lunches and dinners with exciting menus.
Closing date: 1 June 2017
Interview date: 16 June 2017
If you feel you are the right candidate for the role as our HE Student Advisor then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
All posts are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check, which may include a check of the barred lists and any relevant overseas checks.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
We are an equal opportunities employer.