Design Engineer - Steel/Fabrication
Job Title: Design Engineer
Supervisor: The job holder reports to the Head of Projects
Purpose of Job: To provide 2 D and 3 D design and draughting services to the Projects functions, carrying out work in support of proposals and live projects. Acting as PE on suitable projects.
- To produce 2 D and 3 D design layouts from specifications for live projects.
- Produce detail manufacturing drawings from 3D models.
- To undertake equipment and system design work, producing finished drawings, Bills of Material, documents to support Manufacture, operating manuals, Health and Safety and other documentation for assigned projects and products.
- Undertake technical discussion and site visits with customers and supplier as necessary.
- Support the production of technical specifications for suppliers.
- Ensue that designs and layouts produced:
- Are "Fit for purpose" equipment, at the most competitive costing levels.
- Support efficiency of manufacture.
- Meet the requirements of the contract.
- Conform to statutory regulations for design, Health and Safety and operation and maintenance activities.
- Ensure drawings / parts data base are always up to date with current revisions.
- Help develop and maintain a set of designed standard products to support the Company’s objective of maximising the amount of standard products offered and manufactured.
- Support the management of the specification portfolio, ensuring consistency and standardisation.
- Support the design review process as necessary.
Project Execution Phase
- To apply technical and organising skills in order to manage assigned contracts and to produce product designs operating solely or with others and always within the financial, technical, regulatory, procedural, planning and contractual constraints placed upon the Company, and advising the Head of Projects of progress/problems through established reporting procedures.
- To co-ordinate and assist the Installation function as necessary during the installation and commissioning phases of project.
- Support Project Managers/ Project Engineers or act as a Project Engineer as necessary in the execution of live projects.
- Support the Project Managers / Project Engineers or act as a Project Engineer on site investigations into problems with equipment / material handling.
- To provide up-to-date and accurate reports on contract and product design status to the Head of Projects and/or to other Managers.
- To ensure that assigned contracts are undertaken in such a manner as to achieve Customer satisfaction and to within contract cost estimate and to time schedules.
- Ensure that documentation is appropriately filed and that the Company’s position is protected at all times.
- Act a back up for transferring information to the "Sigmanest" nesting system and process information for use on the in house laser cutting machine, following the in house process and keeping appropriate records.
- Administer engineering software licences.
- Ensure that all Company procedures inc. those set out in the Quality Assurance Manual and Working Procedures are adhered to at all times and improved as necessary.
- To observe at all times the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and to maintain safe and clean working areas.
- Attend meetings as necessary.
- Work reasonable overtime as dictated by the pattern of work.
- To carry out any other duties within the job holder’s capability, including transferring to other work, as and when required.
- HND (or equivalent) or Engineeing degree
- Background in designing steel structures ad fabrication from design through to manufacture and installation
- Knowledge of conveyor technology or waste handling equipment a distinct advantage
- Being able to work on own initiative, has ambition, enthusiasm and a good team player.
- Good attention to detail and presents well.
- 3D CAD knowledge, Solidworks a distinct advantage.
- Driving licence and own transport.