Financial Controller - Food Manufacturing
Job Title: Financial Controller - Food Manufacturing
Reporting to: Managing Director
Location: North West, Warrington area
Our client is one of the UK’s leading specialists in contract and direct manufacturing, working with household names in the food industry, the major multiple retailers and food service sector. Their manufacturing capability extends to R&D on behalf of clients.
The company is going through a process of change, improvement and growth. This has created the opportunity for a high level Financial Controller to lead the Financial Department and ensure the right controls are in place for growth to continue and be sustainable in this highly competitive business sector.
The Role: -
The Financial Controller is responsible for the efforts, activities and results of the financial department. The FC reports to the Managing Director on all financial and accounting matters whilst overseeing the financial department staff on day-to-day operations.
To include -
- Maintaining a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Managing any outsourced functions
- Overseeing the operations of the financial department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
Key responsibilities to include -
- Product costing process
- Weekly yields / usages - Analysis and investigation of variances, stock taking procedures and timing of events
- Weekly FLASH report generation / KPI’s and labour costs
- Stock management - Slow moving, No. of weeks stock, aged stock levels etc.
- Prepare budgets, with cash flow and sales forecast
- Authorisation system, levels and PO’s
- Tax credits - proposals for projects
- Debtor control
- Capex justification process
- Key client contracts
You will be a highly experienced Financial Controller with direct experience in the food sector or very similar, probably gained in a similar sized or larger company. You will be a true leader and manager, able to successfully take the finance team through a period of change and growth. Although only a small team, your role as its leader will be critical.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, you will have a strong understanding of how important the small things are in a high volume, low margin environment, where pennies count and success is based on a thorough understanding of the numbers, backed by the ability to present the key data in a clear and timely manner.
- FCA/ACCA/ACA/CIMA qualified or similar with a detailed understanding of cost accounting.
- Significant experience of leading and managing a finance team in a similar size or larger company
- Significant experience of working in the food industry and the pressures associated with it.
- Familiar with supplying major multiples and similar
- Familiar with Sage 200 Manufacturing
- Good general IT/Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel.
- Leadership/team management skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail with strong analytical skills, but retain the ability to "see the big picture"
- Strong organisational ability
- Strong presentation skills
- Good problem solving ability
- React positively to change
- Can work effectively under pressure
- An approach that says "The numbers are everything" with the ability to be able to present the critical facts plainly and simply.
- c. £60 - 70k negotiable + profit related bonus