Commercial Accountant Southern Based
Commercial Accountant (Southern Based)
Salary: £30-35k DOE + 10% Annual Bonus + Company Vehicle
Our client, the nation's fastest-growing event hospitality company serving professional sports clients, convention centres, and heritage venues across the United Kingdom and North America, is seeking a commercially minded qualified accountant to provide pro-active support to the VP-Finance, Finance Director, Regional Operations Teams and Branch management. Reporting to the Finance Director and supporting the Executive Director Sports and Leisure, Operations Directors and Regional Operations teams the Regional Commercial Accountant will assume responsibility for providing high quality management information, advice and support to the Finance Director and operational teams and assist in the implementation of profit improvement actions.
They are looking for a relatively experienced accountant with an analytical approach, good communication skills and a team-focused attitude. A strong understanding of a sound control environment is expected alongside the ability to demonstrate a high level of commercial awareness and business acumen. This role requires the post holder to meet with their site teams, their clients, Regional Operations Teams and Branch General Managers in order to address issues effectively - the venues are all within Southern England so they welcome applicants from across the South. It also requires regular visits to their support centre in Stoke-on-Trent, particularly around month end therefore a willingness to travel is essential.
Areas of Responsibility
- Attend all period financial and operations meetings within your geographical area and assume responsibility for communicating branch and regional performance to the management team.
- Manage the preparation of regional annual site budgets and work with the Executive Director of Sports and Leisure, Operations Directors, Regional Managers and Branch General Managers to help achieve them.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Financial Controller, and then manage the preparation of robust weekly, monthly and quarterly forecasts.
- Pro-actively work with Regional Managers to standardise best practice and continuously develop their people, systems and processes
- Interrogation of financial and non-financial data to yield recommendations to improve site performance e.g. labour utilisation
- Identify profit improvement opportunities, implementing recommendations with the assistance of branch, regional and head office teams
- Investigate and report on problems at Branches
- Ensure all client financial questions/issues are responded to in a timely manner
- Work closely with the Regional Managers to help manage client relationships
- Ensure group policy and procedure compliance
- Prepare and assess contract feasibility studies including ROI calculations
- Assist new business back office integration
- Prepare new business proposals for review by the Financial Controller
- Attend new business meetings with the business development team as required
- Assume responsibility for regional compliance with group capex process
- Training of Branch GMs in financial procedures
- Ensure Head Office queries are resolved promptly
- Produce ad hoc reports
- Any other relevant duties as requested by the Finance Director or VP-Finance
- A self-starter with a good understanding of business finance and operations, experienced preferably gained within the hospitality industry although any multi-site B2C and B2B contract business experience would be transferable
- Have an analytical approach
- Be an effective communicator - able to understand operational issues, able to translate issues into numbers and vice versa and succinctly communicate results
- Be able to work well under pressure
- Have a team-focused attitude
- Have an eye for detail
- It is expected that the post holder will be required to travel regularly on business and as such must be willing to undertake periodic overnight stays
- Relevant accountancy qualification
- Able to work well with non-finance colleagues to drive required behaviours
- Able to interrogate complex financial data and communicate results in a simple and effective manner to non-finance colleagues
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload
- Computer literate with a good level of MS Excel skills (pivot tables etc.…)
- Experience of Lawson an advantage
- Well presented with a good command of the English language
- Experience of the hospitality sector desirable but not essential
- A full driving licence with no more than 3 penalty points
- Relevant degree qualification would be advantageous
By applying for this role, your details will be sent to Ortolan People, who are acting as consultants for the hiring company. Ortolan People are engaged to provide recruitment support in processing applications. We will endeavour to respond to all applicants within three working days. Occasionally for roles with a very high volume of applicants, this may not be possible.