Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Position: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Location: United Kingdom, Hemel Hempstead
In this role you will have the opportunity to manage, plan and co-ordinate the full activities of the manufacturing team in production area.
You will be responsible for the establishment of production standards and ensuring resultant achievement of recurring costs in manufacture (Unit Production Cost) through effective process capability management. You will also be responsible for applying, maintaining and improving lean manufacturing procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with both time scales and budget commitments.
- To understand the lifecycle of mechanical components, their sources and lead-times.
- Challenge conventions in order to ensure continuous improvements especially with regard to manufacturing cost and ease of manufacture.
- Define team objectives, review performance and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- To deploy the improvement toolkit to apply structured problem solving, and lean manufacturing techniques to improve the internal performance.
- Provide regular reports on the improvements implemented at scheduled review periods.
- Develop and lead change management and employee communications to ensure that requirements are understood and implemented across the business
- Provide relevant KPI to key stakeholders and make recommendations to ensure appropriate management of manufacturing engineering processes
- Being the Lead manufacturing engineer for the business, ensuring best practice processes are developed.
- Providing Manufacturing Engineering support to suppliers
- Identifying and implementing improvements to equipment, processes and methods
- Identifying and driving improvement initiative to reduce costs and improve on time delivery
- Planning and Decision Making:
- Manage tooling budgets for the department, including overseeing and reviewing Capex justifications when required.
- To manage the supply of pre-production assemblies to the design & approvals teams.
Impact and Scope:
- Line management of the Manufacturing Engineering teams, ensuring consistency in approach and ability to collate site wide data at the lower level of detail
- Responsible for Manufacturing Engineering team for Hemel Commercial and Military products across OE & Service
- Establish the monitoring and development of Manufacturing Engineering best practice throughout the business and also with external organisations.
- Is accountable for the accuracy and optimisation of manufacturing technical data (including flags, routings and work instructions) Responsibility for the content of the Manufacturing Bill of Material for each product.
- To implement and manage our client company Detection Enterprise Excellence System with particular focus on level pulled flow for all new product lines.
Required Skills and Experience
- Teach appropriate improvement tools and techniques across the manufacturing processes and support the implementation until the point that the leaders of the area for improvement are self-sustaining and capable.
- Strong knowledge and practitioner of Lean and improvement techniques
- Proven experience of achieving targets in a dynamic manufacturing environment
- An understanding of the lifecycle of mechanical components, their sources and lead-times
- You'll be a natural leader of people, both in the capacity of working with direct reports but also as a developer and a motivator, CI processes aren't nearly as effective without the buy in of everyone in the team. You'll be a firm believer in making a difference.
- Possesses the necessary enthusiasm, desire to succeed and discipline to achieve significant results for the organisation.
- Capable of analysing a problem, summing it up and suggesting solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and build working relationships.
- Ability to develop others through the use of a variety of techniques
About the Company
Our Client Company is a global leader in threat detection and screening technologies for military, transportation, homeland security and resilience applications. We apply multiple technologies to identify, quickly, a range of threats that include biological and chemical agents and toxic industrial chemicals, explosives, narcotics, weapons and illegal items.
The Company is one of five operating divisions of a global technology company listed on the London Stock Exchange. Since 1997, the Company has brought together global technology leaders in many key markets, creating a world leading business.
Working for our client company means that you will join a leading organisation that's making a positive difference to the world. Developing talent is a vital part of our clients current and future business goals.
And as you'd expect from an international company, they offer competitive salaries and benefits packages.