An exciting opportunity has arisen to work for an established and extremely successful Lettings Agency and Property Development Company located in South London who operates mainly within the M25 area. This role is for an Accounts Assistant that has a strong academic background in Accounts, Business Studies, Mathematics and/or Economics, together with some experience, specifically in Purchase and Sales Ledger Accounting, VAT, CIS and Bank Reconciliations.
YOU MUST HAVE AN ACCOUNTING/BUSINESS/MATHS/ECONOMICS ACADEMIC BACKGROUND
CANDIDATES THAT ARE CAT / AAT QUALIFIED ARE ADVANTAGED
THIS ROLE IS ALSO OPEN FOR PARTIALLY EXPERIENCED CANDIDATES TOO, THOSE STUDYING FOR PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS - ACCA / ACA / CIMA
SOME INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IN PROPERTY CONSTRUCTION OR DEVELOPMENT INDUSTRY IS ALSO DESIRED
YOU MUST BE CONFIDENT WITH STRONG NUMERACY SKILLS, BE HIGHLY ORGANISED AND HAVE ATTENTION TO DETAIL
Our Client is a property development company based in Croydon and have constructed over 800 residential dwellings in the last two years in the South East. They have an award winning in-house Managing Agent, which currently manages over 1,500 properties with long-term secure government contracts. Their core business is to acquire and develop suitable sites for residential accommodation with the aim to continue providing social housing solutions to the market, as they have been doing for the last seven years. They are backed by a private equity fund and have lending facilities of up to £200m in place to utilise towards their development models.
In this full-time position, you will be responsible for providing support to the accounts department in meeting its objectives, which include timely reporting, establishing sound internal controls and development, together with the implementation of the company’s accounting policies and procedures, in compliance with industry accounting standards (FRS’s), as well as reporting requirement of all internal and external stakeholders.
Our client is currently looking to recruit an Accounts Assistant into their busy property development department. You will be supporting the accounts and finance team on a number of matters, advising on a wide range of commercial property transactions including the buying and selling of freehold properties. This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but growing team, who are highly client focused and ensure that all employees are well supported in order to provide an outstanding service.
To be successful, the candidate must be a confident individual who can work well under pressure and well within a team. Being able to work within a 'collaborative’ setting, possessing the ability to multi-task and organise themselves efficiently, is critical to this role.
Ideally, you will have had experience in a similar role, holding at least 1 years’ experience. You must be articulate, hold excellent organisational skills and you will be expected to offer clear input and advice on your work, providing reports to management when required. The successful candidate must be able to clearly communicate and deliver accurate information efficiently and in good time. You must be a confident individual who is happy to work autonomously and within a team. You must have a strong mathematical and business/economics academic background too, with a 'can-do’ attitude. Above all you must be eager and willing to learn.
Our Client operates in a fast moving environment with lots of deadlines, so the candidate needs to be organised, diligent and have attention to detail. You must be able to take your own initiative, carry a professional approach at all times, work proactively and work to tight deadlines. The role pays a basic salary of between £20,000 - £25,000, based on experience.
- Preparation of weekly payment run listing invoices that are due for review and have been approved by the authorised personnel. This entails invoice grouping, sorting and verifying them with the person responsible for the purchase of such goods/services
- Ensuring that invoices pertinent to the entity are posted to correct SPV’s, nominal ledger account code with relevant UTR reference, in the correct accounting period and posted in correct category in line with appraisals
- Ensuring the correct value and coding of VAT and CIS is applied and recorded which involves knowledge of industry VAT/CIS regulations
- Posting of invoices to accounting database in accordance to applicable nature of expense (i.e. revenue expenditure OR capital expenditure) and taking into consideration Cut-Off and Classification
- Following all relevant credit control functions, by raising rental invoices and sending out to tenants, ensuring payments are received promptly
- Filing of prime documents including, supplier invoices, sales invoices, bank statements, journals with relevant coding and cross-references, ensuring document flow and control is always in place and in line with company accounting policies and procedures, which are readily available in reference to audit and other queries
- Maintains records of supporting documents such as invoices, bills, schedules, lease agreements mortgage agreements and so on
- Methodical coding and scanning of all the documents for CIS / VAT returns and providing support for UTR draw down invoices requisitions
Knowledge, Experience & Attributes
- Academics in Accounts, Business Studies, Mathematics and/or Economics
- Minimum 1 years’ experience in a similar role
CAT or AAT qualified and/or studying professional ACCA, ACA or CIMA qualifications
- Experience of Purchase Ledger, Sales Ledger, VAT, CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) and Bank Reconciliations