European Commission Auditor 6 month contract
Top 20 Practice in London are recruiting for a European Commission Auditor to undertake a 6 month contract
Purpose and aim of the role
In 2017 a consortium of European firms were awarded a contract with Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) of the European Commission to audit grant funding awarded to various organisations within the European Community. In addition to this contract, there are three further contracts with further Directorate-Generals of the European Commission to audit grant funding awarded to organisations with the European Commission.
The contracts include within their scope the audit of grants awarded to various organisations, both private companies, governmental organisations and non-governmental organisations, in various fields including humanitarian aid, civil protection, culture, research, energy etc. Approximately 100 field trips are carried out in each year. In total, each assignment will take approximately 0.5 - 2 weeks to complete with most assignments taking less than one week.
* The post holder will carry out field audits in beneficiary countries, these will be primarily within the European Union and its neighbouring countries.
I am looking for individuals who are able to carry 2 - 3 of these assignments per month. They will be required to travel to field locations and complete the audit process, when not on field trips they will undertake planning and completion work, including the preparation of reports to the EC. Individuals must have accounting and audit skills and be ACA qualified or equivalent, or have internal audit skills and qualifications. Having worked on grant audits would be an advantage but is not essential.
Individuals will usually work in teams of two for each assignment with assistance provided from other consortium firms in the country of fieldwork.
The individual will complete audit work in the field, covering the following key areas of the beneficiary's operations and project costs:
* Internal controls
* Accounting systems and IT
* Cash and bank
* Travel and subsistence costs
* Other direct costs
* Indirect costs
* Fixed assets
The post holder will also be responsible for planning assignments, file audit completion and drafting the audit report.
Responsibilities will include:
* Active involvement in the development of audit staff;
* Assisting in the motivation of staff; and
* Assisting with marketing activity.
* Effective internal communication - both oral and written - with:
- Other Audit Staff
* Effective external communication with European Commission and auditees
The ideal candidate will be skilled in the following areas;
* External auditing;
* Audit planning, fieldwork and file completion;
* Supervising staff;
* Excellent report writing and communication skills; and
* A keen interest in specialising in the Not For Profit and Grant Auditing sector.
ACA or ACCA, or equivalent, qualified.
* Fluent English; ideally written and spoken French or Spanish to intermediate level. Any other European language skills would be considered beneficial.
Personal Attributes include:
* Leadership skills, with the ability to command respect at all levels;
* An understanding of the European Commission;
* Comfortable with working with a wide range of people from many different countries;
* Able to provide direction and support to assistants from other firms and countries;
* Ability to work in challenging environments;
* Ability to take responsibility;
* Be commercially aware;
* Able to communicate effectively and keep others informed;
You will also have:
* Strong technical skills;
* Sound professional judgement;
* Report writing skills;
* Flexibility in approach to work;
* Strong organisational skills;
* Ability to prioritise workload and work to deadlines; and
* Decisive - can make correct decisions when under pressure.
Rewards attached to this position are a pro rated salary of £44,000. If this position interests you please apply today.
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Please note that any references to salary or pay rates in this advertisement and in the salary refinement section are indicative only and should only be used as a guide.