Product Engineer (Mechatronic Systems)
Stirling Dynamics is a fast-growing, advanced engineering company that delivers a range of complex systems and technical services to the aerospace and marine markets.
This role will give the successful candidate the opportunity to support the development of new cutting edge active control simulator products and lead the through life management of existing active aerospace controls. Utilising their systems knowledge, the applicant will work across the product development lifecycle and ensure that technology insertion, new design and modifications of existing designs/products meet customer requirements. The ideal candidate will already have a broad range of knowledge in complex mechatronic systems combining electronics / embedded software / mechanical hardware and will be comfortable working with both internal engineers and external suppliers.
Performing duties in a project environment, this technical role encompasses the definition of requirements, design trades, technology maturation, implementation and validation & verification of design; the following list the key accountabilities which will be expected of the successful candidate:
- Requirements capture from both internal stakeholders and external customers.
- Assist the development of new business proposals, through the generation of technical plans, work breakdown structures and effort estimates.
- Technical co-ordination of subcontracted activities, including the generation of Statements of Work (SoWs) and Specifications and reviewing supplier deliverables for compliance to the requirements.
- Preparation and review of technical documents.
- Provide technical support to customers across the globe over all the Company’s product portfolio bringing your technical experience and product knowledge to bear.
- Support in defining the future direction of new and existing products and services.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- An Engineer with a background in product development with practical knowledge of mechanical, electronic or embedded software engineering.
- Solid understanding of the Systems Engineering fundamentals especially requirements capture, product/sub-system/component specifications and validation and verification.
Highly Desirable but not essential
- Familiarity of real time embedded systems
- Experience with CE marking.
- Knowledge of brushless DC motors.
- Exposure to any of the following areas:
o Design & deployment of closed loop actuation systems
o Modelling, simulation & control of non-linear systems
o Mechanical design
o Electronics design
o Software development
o Test and compliance planning and conduct
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline relevant to the role.
- Ability to gain security clearance to SC level (must have been a resident in the UK for the past 5 years and hold a valid British passport).
The role is based in a fast-paced dynamic environment and demands a self-motivated attitude with a real drive to progress. As such, the following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the role:
- Technically articulate.
- Strong organisation, prioritisation and planning skills.
- Methodical with a great attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative.
- An ability to contribute towards multiple, complex tasks.
- The confidence to challenge practices and the willingness to question to gain a full understanding of issues.