Senior Portfolio Risk Analyst
The Senior Portfolio Risk Analyst is responsible for the development and provision of meaningful analysis and modelling across the Business Finance Division. The main purpose of their role is to conduct portfolio analysis and to build and develop appropriate strategies and models to identify opportunities and to mitigate risk/loss in order to enhance the overall profitability of the business.
To act as an ambassador of the organisation’s values (REDS) - Reliable, Expert, Dynamic and Straightforward and to demonstrate the associated behaviours at all times.
Key responsibilities include:
- Prepare and develop regular portfolio monitoring MI and analysis to identify risk concentrations within the portfolio and to influence, support and develop origination and portfolio management strategies.
- Undertake strategic analysis of the portfolio, summarise results/conclusions and making recommendations where appropriate.
- Provide portfolio analysis to monitor shifts in population stability, trends on financial strength and/or signs of financial stress via risk grade scores and KRI’s / characteristics.
- Monitor developments across the credit industry. Make use of external market data available to benchmark performance, analyse and make recommendations where appropriate.
- Use internal and external data available to analyse and monitor the portfolio and to develop strategies/processes to mitigate risk/losses.
- Build and develop effective risk models for use across Business Finance. Use data to drive appropriate level of granularity and refine assumptions where appropriate.
- Build and develop effective risk grades/scores and/or scoring tools for the Business Finance businesses. Use these risk grades/scores to:
- Enhance portfolio monitoring and forecasts
- Provide guidance for underwriting/system processing and the wider business to identify and quantify overall risk
- Provide a multi-dimensional appraisal of credit risks.
- Develop/implement effective utilization of score data across the Business Finance Division to:
- Enhance portfolio monitoring, forecasts and provisioning calculations.
- Develop originations strategy, collections and pre-delinquency strategies, as and where appropriate.
- Automate reporting and/or actively work with others to automate and streamline reporting where possible.
- Prepare written reports and recommendations on the results of analysis carried out.
- Prepare product/strategy papers and proposals for review/submission to relevant credit/product pricing committees.
- Plan, prioritise and effectively manage workload to meet business objectives. Keep manager and stakeholders fully appraised of progress and timelines.
- Provide regular and timely portfolio monitoring and analysis to inform the business (including analysis and observations on variances/trends/actions) and also to maximize opportunities within risk appetite. Proactively gain feedback from key stakeholders regarding content.
- Use data, quantitative analysis and knowledge of the portfolio to drive positive change and effective strategic decisions.
- Build, develop and maintain robust analysis and models for the business. Continually refine and expand, if necessary the portfolio of models and risk strategies.
- Keep abreast of strategic changes within the business to ensure models remain valid and accurate. Use knowledge of the business and experience to make recommendations on assumptions and inputs used within the models.
- Monitor and develop credit decisioning rules and risk controls, including monitoring system referral rules; prepare and deliver accurate documentation/coding to assist in the implementation of rules into the origination platform.
- Monitor, evaluate and assess all aspects of the risk strategy; communicate results, conclusions and recommendations to senior management.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the product development area to ensure that analysis and recommendations effectively feed into the product development process and keep the business informed with key information regarding growth and profit opportunities.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders to ensure data and assumptions are valid, robust and accurate and to ensure that risk strategies and models are implemented successfully and add value.
- Play an active role in the development of progress. Devise strategic options for consideration by senior management.
- Ensure reporting, analysis and modelling procedures are documented and are kept up to date in accordance with business requirements.
- Share knowledge and experience and collaborate with other business areas. Actively assists manager and colleagues to transfer knowledge between teams and departments.
- Extensive analytical experience, with an aptitude for data mining and problem solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence on all levels.
- Positively engages with colleagues and stakeholders to drive positive change.
- Shares knowledge and experience and works well with others.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure to a high degree of accuracy.
- Actively assists people to transfer knowledge between teams and departments.
- Manages own time, schedules own work and carries out own tasks to meet agreed objectives.
- Plans effectively at an appropriate level of detail to 'do things right first time’.
- Expands own knowledge and skills to help improve own performance. Pro-actively manages own development.
- Sets high expectations and standards for themselves and others.