Vocational Trainer / Assessor - Functional Skills (Maths and English)
As post-holder, you will be responsible for teaching Maths and English on a range of Functional Skills Courses within the Traineeship and Apprenticeship framework. You will join the Business Enterprise Centre (BEC) Functional Skills Team who are responsible for the delivery of Maths and English to local businesses, Weston College Trainees and Weston College Apprentices of different ages and in various settings.
As post-holder, you will be responsible to the Functional Skills Coordinator and ultimately to the Head of BEC for the following:
- Delivering high-quality teaching and learning on a range of courses at different levels and contexts, both discrete and in the workplace;
- Proactively tracking and recording student progress, ensuring that accurate and reliable information on the predicted achievement and success of learners is readily available;
- Completing and using initial assessments of learners (BKSB), ensuring that their learning needs are met;
- Acting as a Link Tutor, ensuring that external assessments and exams are organised and communicated to vocational staff and their students effectively;
- Achieving key targets, in terms of attendance, retention, achievement and timely success;
- Delivering additional workshops and one-to-one additional support, where appropriate, ensuring that all learners can succeed;
- Ensuring Quality Assurance processes are implemented and are robustly complied with;
- Setting and monitoring targets for students, ensuring that regular assessment feedback is provided and that this feedback supports them to improve;
- Liaising with the Functional Skills Coordinator and the Vocational Coordinator, updating them on student progress and ensuring that issues impacting on a learner’s progress can be effectively addressed;
- Building on existing learning materials that are contextualised to vocational areas, available online (through Virtual Learning Environments; VLEs), and effectively meet the needs of learners and awarding body requirements;
- Working with the Functional Skills Team to improve the capacity of all Assessors, effectively developing the Maths and English skills of their learners through promotion and the delivery of Continuous Personal Development (CPD) sessions as appropriate;
- Being an active and corporate member of the BEC Functional Skills Team, supporting the implementation of an effective cross-college and workplace Functional Skills Strategy.
In addition to the above requirements, all members of the academic staff are required to:
- Complete all associated organisation/administrative work, preparation and marking;
- Participate in standardisation and quality assurance of assessment;
- Deal with immediate student disciplinary and welfare problems;
- Keep and maintain specified student and class records;
- Plan, prepare, develop and evaluate courses and course materials, and, where appropriate, supervise course provisions;
- Assist with administration, enrolment, pre-enrolment counselling and identification of customer requirements;
- Participate in Programme/School/College activities as requested, including parents’ evenings;
- Participate and undertake staff appraisal and in-service training, which will be based upon an assessment of individual service needs;
- Meet the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the College’s Health & Safety Procedures;
- Be prepared to operate on a flexible year as required; members of the academic staff will normally be expected to work not more than two evenings per week, on average;
- Undertake such duties as may be reasonably required, commensurate with the grade of the appointment.
Lecturer Scale, Points 1-2: £23,312.00 to £24,799.00 per annum.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The College standard Contract of Service applies.
Hours of attendance: 37 hours per week.
Lecturer contact hours: 828 hours per annum.
Annual leave: 281.5 hours per annum, inclusive of statutory bank holidays.
Weston College reserves the right to direct up to 10 days of your annual leave entitlement for efficiency purposes.
If successful, you will be based at Business Enterprise Centre, Locking Road (BS22 8NL), but you will be delivering to learners at all sites and to apprentices within various workplaces. Therefore, this post requires a degree of flexibility.
Weston College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
As a member of Weston College, you will be committed to develop your technical skills to enhance learning, including use of the virtual learning environments and classroom equipment.