Online sales/marketing manager
Brighton-based online publisher seeks an online sales/marketing manager to head the sales team on its high-profile and market-leading news and recruitment site for journalists, Journalism.co.uk.
The successful candidate will lead a team of three and will be expected to successfully manage his or her own sales portfolio as well as provide structure, direction and incentive to the rest of the sales team.
This will require gaining a thorough understanding of all Journalism.co.uk’s revenue streams and the associated administrative processes so that the successful candidate can seamlessly cover any sales role and train new recruits when required.
Journalism.co.uk’s current revenue streams are:
- Editorial jobs board.
- Events under the newsrewired brand (sponsorship and ticket sales).
- Sponsored content including display advertising.
- Press release publishing service (PressGo).
- In-house, open and online training courses.
- Online directory of freelance journalists (due to be relaunched later this year).
As well as growing existing revenue streams, the sales manager will be expected to research and introduce, where suitable, new opportunities and target new markets.
The role will combine telephone sales with face-to-face meetings with existing and potential clients, including some occasional international travel to attend relevant conferences.
It will suit a bright, articulate, web-literate and motivated graduate (ideally) with proven sales and management experience and the following skills/qualities:
- A big personality with gravitas, happy to work with a small team and capable of creating a positive atmosphere, inspiring others to perform by leading by example and managing with diplomacy, firmly but fairly.
- Outstanding communication skills - verbal and written (grammar, punctuation, spelling).
- Confidence in dealing with senior managers, discussing large-value deals and closing them.
- Experience of recruiting good sales staff, training them, setting KPIs and motivating them to meet them.
- Ability to rapidly learn our business and keep up to date on the industry news we produce (so will be expected to read, and learn from, all our content).
- Strong negotiation technique.
- Expertise in preparing and delivering presentations.
- Advanced spreadsheet and CRM (customer relationship management) software knowledge.
- General IT proficiency with ability to rapidly learn new software and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
- Expert online research ability.
- Sound knowledge of online marketing techniques including Google Adwords campaigns, email campaigns, use of social media channels (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc) SEO and the use of web metrics tools such as Google Analytics.
- Punctual, diligent, hard-working with excellent administrative and organisational habits, attention to detail and commitment to succeed with long-term as well as short-term projects.
- Background in, or in-depth knowledge of the media industry, and experience of media sales and/or events sponsorship.
- Pre-existing relevant sales contacts.
- Knowledge of basic html and ability to resize pictures using Photoshop or similar.
- Living within easy travelling distance from our Brighton headquarters, or be prepared to re-locate.
In return we offer a basic salary of around £38k pa DOE plus generous commission based on overall quarterly team performance as well as personal sales targets, plus a company pension scheme.
Not quite ready yet to lead a team? We will consider suitable candidates with the ambition to step up rapidly once they have learned the ropes.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role, addressing the requirements detailed above.