Operations and Engineering Supervisor
Senior Operations and Engineering Supervisor - £40,000
I am recruiting on behalf of a UK port operator and market leader within the Industry. This particular role functions within Teigmouth Port but may also provide support to other ports in the south west.
The Senior Supervisor will report directly to the Operations Manager and assists with the delivery of a cost effective, quality orientated and service driven Port operation. The role will also include supporting the regional Engineering Resources Manager to ensure that the Port facilities, plant and equipment meet all current legislation and the operational needs of the business are met, making sure costs are adhered to as well as achieving high levels of customer service.
Main Purpose of Role
- To pre plan all aspects of the operation to include:
- Communication of the plan and objectives in the team brief.
- To ensure the plan is delivered within the specified timeframe, monitoring and achieving the key targets.
- To ensure effective communication takes place to report on achievements, lessons learned and new ideas or concepts taken forward onto the next plan.
- Work collaboratively with the whole management team to realise all aspects of the operational plan.
- Monitoring costs to ensure efficiency across all operations.
- To schedule daily work load for Engineering team in area of responsibility and deliver high levels of compliance by:
- Ensuring efficient utilisation of own team and contractors by communicating work allocation through daily & weekly scheduling.
- Identifying areas for improvement to ensure high levels of reliability.
- Ensuring all work is carried out and completed to a high standard through effective management of the engineering resources.
- Ensuring that all relevant information is recorded and analysed following completion of work orders for entry into Mainsaver system.
- Ensuring effective cost control across all engineering and maintenance spending to keep within/under budget.
- To be actively involved in analysing and understanding KPI targets, actions and reviews and to take ownership of improvement plans and present progress on these plans. Drive continuous improvement, ensuring understanding and delivery of risk analysis and promote new ways of working.
- To ensure so far as reasonably practicable all Quality, Health and Safety, Environment and Security targets and objectives are delivered and the detail of company safety policies and procedures are maintained to the safest possible working environment for all employees and other Port users by:
- Developing a culture of continuous improvement regarding safety performance within own team.
- Assisting local managers with the coordination of internal and external HSES inspections & audits, the completion of self-audits and the monitoring and coordination of any subsequent actions.
- Ensuring that risk assessments and SSOW, and applicable safety permits are fully utilised and adhered to at all times.
- Achieving and maintaining accredited standards e.g. GTAS
- Sustain excellent communications at all levels within the operation, operating as the focal point for all information relative to own area of responsibility whilst maintaining an awareness of the whole operation.
- To develop direct links with customers, ensuring customer service and commercial requests are handled, owned and closed within set timelines.
- To promote and work to the company core values, ensuring standards are consistently applied amongst the team.
- Lead by example, setting exemplary standards for behaviour, conduct and addressing performance issues.
- Coach and develop individuals within own team and motivate employees and operators to achieve their potential whilst addressing below standard performance.
- To be proactive in all aspects of people management to ensure maximum employee engagement.
- Keep up-to-date with business information, functional knowledge and skills but also understanding of customer requirements, marketplace and local community issues.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and to be on call out of hours in a supervisory capacity.
- Relevant industry experience
- Engineering Experience
- Good computer literacy
- Strong written / verbal communication skills
- Knowledge & ability to follow and assist in the development of Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work
- Previous Health & Safety responsibilities (e.g. IOSH or NEBOSH)
- Ability to promote a positive health and safety and environment culture within the Port.
- Willingness to develop skills and knowledge
- Leadership qualities to drive the current team forward and develop them within their own area.
- Results orientated with good project management and execution skills.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a market leading organisation and make a notable difference to the operational side of the business. If you are a high calibre, career focused operations professional and would like to know more, please get in touch for a confidential discussion. or