The role manages the Group Payroll team (consisting of 5 other team members) ensuring that it provides a high quality, value added and efficient service to the Group's operations. This is an opportunity for someone who is motivated by process and system enhancements and enjoys challenging the norm to identify and implement effective improvements and efficiencies. The successful candidate will be a driven and proactive individual seeking to continually enhance the quality of service provided by the Group payroll team to the rest of the Group.
- Maintaining relationships and ensuring a strong proactive communication with both financial, HR and operational management across the Group and external advisors / partners including proactively understanding their requirements and developing the team to deliver these requirements where appropriate.
- Development / training of the team following identification of its requirements. To include regular PDR reviews to monitor and develop personal performance.
- Proactively keep up to date with HR / employment and tax legislative and regulation changes to ensure that these can be taken into account in the payroll processes and to assist dialogue with the HR teams and the Group Tax Manager. Support the efficient and timely compliance with relevant tax and employment legislation and to ensure the Group adapts to inevitable regular change in this area.
- Working alongside the Group Tax Manager and where applicable external advisors, proactively consider, and where appropriate implement, tax planning opportunities for the Group to reduce its cost of employment and increase net income of employees.
- Regular proactive review of key outputs of the team (i.e. reports, payroll, BACS runs, pension returns) to ensure that the risk of error is reduced and that the quality of outputs is maintained to a high standard.
- Regular spot checks and more formal audits of all areas of responsibility to check quality and accuracy of data used by the team and data produced by the team.
- To ensure correct payments, reports and returns are made to HMRC (including monthly and year-end returns), the Group's pension schemes, and other external parties.
- Working closely with technical members of staff and / or external consultants, to ensure that the Group payroll and HR system adds value and is fit for purpose and to ensure that such work is completed on budget and to the required specification, timeframe and cost.
- To ensure the system is generating reliable, useful and timely information to managers within the Group and that the team proactively seeks to improve the use of the system and increase its reporting capability if considered appropriate.
- To ensure the system is regularly updated to reflect changes in legislation and internal process / structural changes and to ensure that there is a robust process in place to ensure that this occurs in time.
- To keep close to the detailed processes of the payroll team and to continually review these for enhancements making sure they are fit for purpose and have adequate financial control to reduce the risk of fraud and error to a minimum.
- Proven team and people management experience including managing a payroll department and working closely with other managers across the organisation.
- Proven experience of driving change for enhancements to process, systems and the team
- Supporting the development of payroll and HR systems
- Carrying out quality and internal control audits
- Experience of involvement in taxation planning initiatives.
- Good technical skills, including a thorough understanding of all relevant taxation and employment legislation and ability to use technical principals in different situations.
- Good system skills including report writing, maximising the use of the system within the Group and suggesting system development opportunities.
- Strong numeric and analytical skills.
- Ability to review / monitor / produce high quality accurate information / reports.
- Ability to communicate well verbally to all staff including senior management.
- People management skills and leadership including training and development
- A good understanding of the principals of internal control
- Professional, hardworking attitude and demeanour
- Strong and clear communicator
- Confidence in own ability to lead a team and to drive and sponsor change across the Group
- Diligent with a preference for accuracy and attention to detail
- Customer service orientated
- Proactive rather than a reactive attitude