Value Stream Leader
About the Opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Value Stream Leader to provide timely and proactive support to Melton Mowbray operations. You will be an integral part of the Leadership Team based at our Melton Mowbray operations. You will be responsible for SAFETY, SQDCIP activities within the VS areas and production processes, including c3 improvement. The role reports to the Value Stream Manager for Melton Mowbray with operational accountability to the Plant Manager Operations Melton Mowbray.
You should have the ability to lead and role model behaviours in line with the standards of acceptance and in accordance with JELD-WEN values and expectations. You will keep the value stream personnel safe, take ownership on setting the standards for production, operational activities. This will include remodelling production activities towards world-class performance; making continuous improvements as standard practice. You will educate, develop and inspire team members towards betterment and achievement. It is an innovative role with the opportunity to add real value to the business. You should have the ability to work collaboratively within and across the teams. You will be joining at an exciting time where the business is placing increased value on prioritising people, customers and the benefits it can bring.
The main components of the role are as follows:
- Safety management and improvement. Pro-active SIO approach
- VS Hourly boards. Management, ownership and continuous improvement
- VS Hourly Boards. Team Member education and improvement. Ensure hourly boards are managed to a 'first class standard’. Ensure hourly boards detail improvement areas, history of performance to target. Maintain connection between hourly boards and the VS SQDCIP Gemba board. Ensure 3c actions are detailed, accurate and closed out
- Management of Team Members performance and contributions, including absenteeism and discipline.
- Continuous improvement of production processes impacting quality and productivity
- Achieve volume 'batch compliance’ resulting in exceptional OTIF performance
- Be responsible for the VS product quality standards and the continuous improvement of these standards through system compliance and demonstrable 3c prioritisation and achievement
- Team member skills / capabilities gap analysis. Maintain VS skills matrix and impact flexibility and contributions.
- Housekeeping. A place for everything and everything in its place. Contribute to the 5s programme - maintain the 5s standards and enforce high standards of compliance.
About the Person
We are looking for someone who has a 'SAFETY FIRST’ culture with a zero tolerance and continuous safety improvement mentality, with previous manufacturing experience within a disciplined and system controlled environment, including previous experience of understanding and managing a SQDCIP (or equivalent) production management system. You should have good computer skills and experience of basic business software, with excellent people management skills and capabilities, with previous Team Member management and Trade Union environment experience of working within a medium to large size OEM company environment, with previous timber product manufacturing experience preferred but not essential. The ability to have a real passion for the business with excellent interpersonal skills, building, understanding and driving a culture of innovation. We are looking for a person who has the ability to be a motivator, instigator and inspirer of people. to work collaboratively, relationship building as part of a team within and across all levels of the business, creating a team spirit of partnership wherever you go maximising the contributions from team members, also one who enjoys working on their own initiative and takes the lead on issues. The ideal person should be flexible, reliable, self-motivated and a great time keeper.
About the Company
JELD-WEN - a leading global manufacturer of windows, doors, stairs, and treated composite trim and panels - operates 90 facilities in more than 20 countries with $3.5 billion in revenues; half of which comes from outside the United States. The company provides products that enhance the beauty and functionality of homes and commercial buildings.
In the UK, JELD-WEN has approximately 1200 staff that produce and distribute quality doors, windows, patio doors and stairs.
Operating across 5 factories - the UK head office and door production facility is based in Sheffield; 3 factories in Melton Mowbray - one that is dedicated to timber windows, door sets and patio door sets, one that is the largest volume production facility for timber stairs in the UK, and the mill which supplies components to the other sites; and the Penrith factory, which specialises in the manufacture of veneered, foil and moulded internal doors.