Senior Associate, Corporate Finance
Boutique Investment Bank - Frontier Markets
Summary of Firm:
Exotix Partners is a leading boutique financial services firm that focuses on frontier and emerging markets. We are seeking to add a member to our growing global investment banking and origination team in London. The firm has recently won several awards as a leading frontier markets investment bank and frontier markets broker across several geographies around the world.
While the investment banking business line is a recent addition, the firm has been a leader in the frontier markets space for nearly 20 years and has offices in London (HQ), New York, Dubai, Nairobi and Lagos.
Summary of Business:
The IB team’s primary focus is to provide bespoke solutions to companies and projects seeking to raise funds in historically difficult geographies (e.g. offshore gas development in East Asia). Over the last 12 months, deals have ranged from Vietnam and Mongolia, to Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Fundraising solutions are generally highly structured, high yielding capital markets products marketed to a handful of select, specialized investors. Deals are generally concentrated in the natural resources space (oil, gas, renewables and mining) and comprise a blend of debt, equity and project finance products. On occasion, the placement agent role may develop into an M&A advisory role, as well.
Summary of Position:
The IB team is seeking to add a member to the group to support all aspects of the business line (from business development to deal closing/funding). The opportunity provides an excellent opportunity to grow in a small, friendly and highly driven team. Managers, mid- and junior members are extremely hands on and provide substantial guidance and room to develop skills - though a sound foundation in capital markets is essential. Due to the boutique nature of the firm, there will also be an element of research, buy side and marketing work required.
The team dynamics are not that of a traditional investment bank. As the team is very small, a great deal of importance is puton flexibility, sense of humour and passion. Face time or hierarchy are not prioritized - though each member of the team ishighly invested in the advancement of the business. Whilst it is an intense environment at times, the team emphasizes and takes to heart the importance of enjoying work and respect.
The candidate will be expected to work 40 hours per week - Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Business Development: Develop pitch books, source new opportunities, attend conferences and participate in/leadmeetings with potential clients to buildout the deal pipeline
- Research: Work to identify and catalogue specialized investors and their investment interests, support IB team in development of relationships with investors
- Deal Screening: Perform due diligence on prospective deals, stress financial models, research clients and their markets, provide recommendations
- Structuring: Support IB team in development of optimal fundraising structure based on clients’ needs and investor demands
- Distribution: Support IB and sales teams in identifying potentially interested investors
- Marketing: Support IB team in development of teasers, road show presentations and IM’s
- Execution: Interface with clients, legal, investors and IB team to construct, review and finalize documentation and due diligence of deal
- Capital Markets: 3 years of capital markets experience, particularly in debt capital markets origination, in both the US and European markets
- Project Finance: Experience working on project finance transactions in emerging markets
- Natural Resources: Hands on experience in natural resources markets, particularly with oil, gas and renewable energy clients, with preference given to high yield and un-rated/un-listed clients
- Other Sectors: Experience working across a range of other sectors (real estate, automotives, etc.)
- Due Diligence: Experience performing due diligence, including legal, financial and site visits in frontier markets
- Management: Experience working with senior management, both internally and with clients, in an independent capacity
- Modeling: Formal training in financial modeling, accounting and debt structures
- Technical: Fluency in MS Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Communication: Demonstrably strong writing and visual presentation skills, preference for those published
- In situ: Experience working in emerging and frontier markets, particular preference given to time spent on the ground in Africa working with various stakeholders (corporate, government, NGO’s, etc.)
- Political and World Affairs: Experience working for government organizations with particular emphasis given to international organizations such as the UN and OECD as well as working on economic policy in a national legislature
- Education: Master’s degree, preferably in international economics
- Certification: Certified in investment banking, securities and financial advisory licenses (e.g. FINRA Series 7, 79 and 63)
- Language: Native English, conversational in at least one other major language spoken in frontier markets (French, Spanish, etc.)
- Genuine interest in learning new skills and gradually adding responsibilities
- Team fit: Collegial, sense of humour, fun and passionate
Closing date - 16 June 2017.