Job Title: Chef
Salary: £20,000 pa
Number of Positions: 1 x Full Time
Staff Management Responsibility: To lead the kitchen team in producing quality food.
Overall Job Objective:
- To work alongside the kitchen team developing high quality standards of food production.
- Help maintain a high standard of food safety and hygiene within the kitchen areas.
- To develop the menus for the Ideas Café, banqueting and corporate functions.
- To work with the Sales and Operations team in menu planning and budget pricing for all events including party nights, functions, banquets, private and corporate events.
- To be responsible for sourcing and purchasing the appropriate level of stock as determined by the level of business in place, avoid over ordering and reduce unnecessary wastage.
- To work proactively alongside the team to improve the catering offer available within this area, striving to make constant progression.
- To work alongside the Management team to establish a strong menu offer in the Ideas Café and maintain a good level of quality and consistency in this area.
- To attend weekly event briefing sessions as part of the team to ensure all of the client's requirements are understood.
- Liaise on a day to day basis with the Operations team to ensure that the customer's specifications are met.
- Liaise with the Banqueting and Deputy Banqueting Managers to produce an efficient and high quality food service to both public and private customers whenever required.
- Efficiently organise the production of quality food for more than one function at the same time and, at certain times of the year, also supply the Outlets with cooked/prepared food
- To complete kitchen rotas as appropriate in line with the requirements of the business.
- To implement and monitor standards of procedure for the day to day management of the kitchen.
- As instructed by the Catering Manager ensure that all food safety policies and procedures are strictly followed.
- To work with the Catering Manager and Banqueting Manager to ensure training has been carried out for all relevant staff in accordance with Company procedures to ensure compliance with all appropriate legislation (COSHH) and maintain all associated records.
- To work within the guidelines supplied by the Catering Manager in regards to identifying food allergens, including contact with all suppliers and completion of allergen charts as appropriate.
- To aide in the training or ensure training has been carried out for all relevant staff in accordance with Company procedures to ensure compliance with all appropriate legislation (HACCP) and maintain all associated records.
- To ensure that all staff wears the full correct uniform and name badge when on duty, and are clean and presentable at all times.
- Maintain high standards of customer service and product at all times, in accordance with Company policy.
- To aide with the monitoring of standards and produce daily reports to substantiate "Due Diligence". Ensure compliance with the New Legislative documentation (Food Standards Agency)
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness in all Catering areas to ensure compliance with Environmental Health standards in the event of a surprise inspection.
- Controlling and monitoring of stock rotation and wastage.
- Flexible working. This may involve helping out in any area of catering operations and other departments within the infrastructure during Off Peak and Peak periods, staff shortages, or to provide cover for days off and holidays by prior arrangement and may consist of working outdoors.
Hours of Duty:
The minimum hours are 40 per week, spread over 5 days out of 7, because of the nature of the post a clearly defined schedule of hours cannot be given and it is expected that the post holder's hours will be agreed with the Banqueting Manager.
Overtime is not normally paid; however some time off in lieu may be taken under previously agreed circumstances. It is a requirement of the post to work Bank and Statutory holidays.
This is a "hands on" operational role, not a Monday to Friday 9am - 5.30pm job. Late night and /or weekend working will be the norm.
- Formal qualifications such as NVQ 2 0r 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery or City and Guilds 706/1 or 706/2 in Food Preparation and Cooking.
- Food Safety Qualification Level 3.
- Capable of producing up to 700 covers (banquets and functions).
- Must be highly motivated.
- Ability to work unsupervised to a tight schedule.
- Must be able to remain calm while under pressure.
- Cleanliness, attention to detail and accuracy are paramount in this job role and must be upheld at all times.
- Small scale restaurant skills are essential.
- A willingness to work flexibly and to continuously improve skills and competences.
- Ability to be creative and generate new ideas.
- Menu development experience is highly desirable.
- Banqueting experience and large scale catering experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Smart appearance and ability to act as a good ambassador to Wicksteed Park Ltd at all times.
- Due to the nature of our Park, an Enhanced Disclosure and Barrel Service check (DBS check, formally CRB check) may be required .