Lead Data Engineer
- Full Time
We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to work with us on in a once-in-a-generation digital transformation. Our people work on projects that are revolutionising products and services that are used by millions of people every day.
We know that better digital services in government will mean better public services. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies - and putting the user at the centre of everything we do - we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
We're looking for a Lead Data Engineer to support the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), in implementing change and improvements, including defining requirements on some of the UK's biggest public-facing services.
You'll work with many talented and committed people who want to be the best at what they do together. We offer career-enhancing roles which apply the latest technologies and techniques to meaningful, high profile work. Our people also enjoy the security, flexibility and work-life balance that a brilliant civil service offers. Do you want to work in empowered, multi-disciplinary teams in an environment which values passion and creativity over hierarchy? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
As a Lead Data Engineer you are an expert in your field and will role model data engineering practices across the Data Engineering community.
Leading the Data Engineering community to build in quality to the data products and services, using industry best practices.
You and your role
- As a Lead Data Engineer you are an expert in your field and will role model data engineering practices across the Data Engineering community.
- Leading the Data Engineering community to build in quality to the data products and services, using industry best practices.
- You will have proven experience working in a large scale data driven organisation, leading design, build, test and deployment activities for data services that are focused on self-service and data quality.
- You will be a key player in the senior leadership team in the development, identification, future planning and delivery of data services the Department offers to its customers across Government and Private sector organisations.
- You will drive the build of our Data Engineering capability by providing technical leadership to a large multi-disciplined team and provide career development for our Data Engineering Community.
- As a Lead Data Engineer you will lead a large number of multi-functional delivery teams, to deliver robust data services to DWP, other Government Departments and Private sector partners.
What are we looking for?
- Excellent knowledge of Data Landscapes, products and services and experience of working in a large-scale data development or production environment.
* Demonstrable understanding of end to end data delivery techniques in Business Analysis, Data Modelling, ETL techniques, Data Exploitation, Quality Assurance and MI/BI solutions.
* Significant leadership and management experience in a data environment with the ability to motivate individuals to deliver user excellence using highly developed interpersonal communication skills.
* Experience of leading and continuously improving multiple Data Engineer teams in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment, delivering large- scale , complex real-time data products within specific time- scales and working alongside multiple senior Stakeholders.
* Extensive experience in leading multi-disciplined Data Engineering teams responsible for delivering robust, timely and accurate data products and services.
* Experience of Agile project methodology.
* Awareness of open source technology relational and non- relational e.g. HBase/Hadoop/Hive, MongoDB, Postgres.
* Extensive experience of developing data solutions on Oracle or Cloudera platforms.
Where you'll work
We have easy-to-reach digital hubs in Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds and Blackpool and a huge, talented tech presence including lots of Data Engineers across the UK.
We offer a flexible benefits package, including a cycle to work scheme and family friendly perks such as a generous annual leave allowance which can all be tailored to your lifestyle. You'll also be in line for a very competitive salary, employer pension contributions of up to 10%, a performance related annual bonus of up to 10%, and lots more.
For exceptional candidates the maximum salary may be negotiable depending on your skills, experience and ability.
Building our future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we're serious about investing in your ability.
You'll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you'll acquire on the job, as well as the chance to share knowledge with colleagues from across the tech community and via our coaching and mentoring programmes.
Hit APPLY for more information and to continue your application on our careers page. There you will also find candidate pack with more information, which you can download by clicking the 'Job Spec' button.
You'll need to register (you can use your LinkedIn profile) and then complete a short application form where you'll upload a CV.
If you have any questions or you want to discuss this opportunity please contact me via .uk