Corporate Tax Senior Manager (Banking)
Change Public Practice are working with a leading Chartered Accountancy firm to assist them in the appointment of a Corporate Tax Senior Manager for their Banking team based in Glasgow.
This Big 4 firm has a real focus on work-life balance, flexible working hours (including early or late starts, shorter working days etc.) and as such has very strong staff retention within their tax function. Gone are the days where Big 4 firms strike fear of excessive working hours and stress in order to have a successful career with an enviable client base - this firm can offer it all! In addition to this, this role will allow the successful individual to demonstrate their exceptional tax compliance skills, specialist knowledge of banking and asset finance tax issues; and to demonstrate their practical experience of applying that specialist knowledge in the preparation of tax computations, the ability to work to tight deadlines and produce a first class product ready for issue to the clients.
· Take ultimate management and control of the compliance process and achieving key performance indicators on allocated clients
· Continually review and monitor the team’s processes and risks and where appropriate, identify and implement process improvements
· Provide coaching and support to junior staff members in the team
· Become involved in larger, more complex clients requiring senior input
· Ensure technical issues are identified within the computation and resolved, with supporting technical analysis
· Undertake a final review of tac computations, before sending to clients, as appropriate
· Ensure all tax computations sent out to clients are high quality, technical accurate and meeting the firms’ best practice standards
· Provide ad hoc advice to the team and clients as requested, including providing assistance in the drafting of responses to HMRC correspondence and preparing tax accounting disclosures on selected clients
· Ensure client administration is completed appropriately by your team and that appropriate risk management procedures are adhered to
· Maintain a strong awareness of the firm’s offerings and identify any additional opportunities for the wider firm, flagging them to the relevant teams for action as appropriate
· Ideally you will hold a professional accountancy qualification i.e. ATT / CTA / ACA or equivalent qualifications
· Ideally you will have a background working within Public Practice, ideally with a similar client background
· Strong experience of review of corporate tax computations and returns
· Track record of identifying and resolving technical issues
· Specialist knowledge of banking and asset finance tax issues and practice experience of applying that knowledge in the preparation tax computations, including foreign branch bank capital attribution adjustments, bank loss offset rules, bank surcharge tax and the treatment of finance lessors
· Experience of other specific technical areas including: complex capital versus revenue treatment; pension scheme and other share scheme adjustments; group relief; more complex transfer pricing issues such as thin capitalisation; UK GAAP tax accounting for single entities and simple groups; consolidated accounting and IFRS issues; tax loss planning; claims and elections; controlled foreign companies; worldwide debt calculations; capital gains issues (e.g. substantial shareholdings exemption, roll over relief) company reorganisations etc.
· Ability to recognise and flag additional opportunities for the Tax Practice
· Ability to identify and implement process improvements
· Strong interpersonal skills are required in addition to strong oral and written communications skills
· Excellent team working skills are required, including delegation, managing teams and developing junior staff
· Excellent organisational skills are required, including workflow management, monitoring and managing risk and financial management