Supervisor - food retail & production - Ice Cream!
Experienced Food Retail Supervisor? Experience in an independent business (somewhere small, where everything is created and served with an extra scoop of love)? Then take control of this dual-site, truly-British, innovative ice-cream parlour!
You'll be based in Kings Cross but spend a few days per week in the Tufnell Park parlour too, as you'll oversee operations on both sites. It's a 40-hour week and we're open 7 days, so we'll need you to be flexible, and work 2 weekends out of 3 (so a few weekdays free to shop outside peak times... Bliss!).
Everything's organic, free-range, British or fair trade and we make all ice cream by hand, so as Food Retail Supervisor you know a thing or two about overseeing small production kitchens too. Artificial preservatives are banned, all our tubs are biodegradable and compostable, and we recycle our spoons. If it can be found in the local area, we use it (except the Damson's and blackberries - they're from Julie's home village in Nottinghamshire, because we've never tasted anything more delicious!).British? Yes. Traditional and boring?Definitely not! We constantly experiment and surprise with brave flavour combinations - Stilton & brandy, brown toast & marmalade, or horseradish ice cream (it really does work!).
To succeed as Food Retail Supervisor you will:
- Show us how it's done: Bring your Food Retail Supervisor experience to coordinate the Front of House retail and ice cream production teams, ensuring everything runs like clockwork while
- Take the pressure off: Your boss is flippin' busy (she's built the company from a market stall, and business is booming!) - you'll give her space to focus on the essentials (& time to natter to regulars when she wants to!) while she leaves the daily operation in your capable hands.
- Learn, progress and excel: You're not a '9-5er' and you'll get out every ounce that you put into the business - the future looks bright and as Food Retail Supervisor you'll be a key part of it as we grow
- Be authentic: You lead by winning trust, not dictating, and explain the 'why' behind everything to ensure everyone's on the same page. Your infectious enthusiasm, diligence & exuberance mean you'll lead by example and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty. Oh, and you're dealing with a human team & human customers, so you know how to have fun too!
- Be a little bit obsessive: You have an eye for detail and notice that little untidy corner, a crumpled paper napkin or a messy counter and know this is JUST as important as balancing the tills and sticking to health and safety regs.
- Lead, nurture and mentor the team: You're someone who people naturally seem to come to with their concerns, joys and excitement, and you'll continue to unite the team with bonding initiatives (competitive tiddly winks? Awful karaoke? They'll love it.)
- Be a chameleon: One minute you'll be relating to a 6 yr old making the agonizing decision between flavours, and the next you'll be discussing office delivery options with a possible corporate client. There are bike, cart and van options for events too, so you'll work alongside the Event Manager and get involved with all areas of the business.
You'll continue to train the team to deal with the school rush (kids and ice cream, a messy match made in heaven!) interacting just as well with the junior customers as they do with the 'Grown-up kids'. But it's not all child's play. Partnerships with local wine merchants means a very sophisticated evening drinks offering too (coupled with the irresistible Elderflower and Prosecco sorbet...if you're lucky enough to catch it on the specials list!).
If this job makes your taste buds tingle, then APPLY NOW! Send your CV and write "Being a Food Retail Supervisor is all about HUMANS…and ice-cream…!" in your cover email - I want to know you read the whole advert!
DISCLAIMER: An unhealthy passion for ice cream isn't essential... but I reckon it'll help!