Copy Editor / Editor - XML-based publishing (Edinburgh)
Our Legal organisation focuses on connecting our customers' businesses to the ever-changing legal and regulatory environment. We provide critical online and print information, decision support tools, software and services to lawyers who practice in law firms, in corporate legal departments and in the public sector.
Temporary until 2019
Role Purpose/ Summary:
To manage the editorial process on the books, looseleaf services, newsletters and digital products allocated, to agreed deadlines and cost limits.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Project management of titles and company initiatives.
- Using XML-based multi-media publishing systems.
- Copyediting and proof checking.
- Establishing, maintaining and enhancing author relations.
- To liaise as appropriate with Editorial Managers/Team Leaders, Publishing Editors, Authors, Editorial support staff, Production, Data Delivery Department, Digital Products and Marketing so that the editorial process takes place smoothly and efficiently, and to report as appropriate on progress
- To achieve the required standards of quality, time control and cost:
- Quality - To maintain good standards in mark up and corrections for both own and freelanced work
- Time - To maintain the production schedule as agreed for all products. To provide the earliest possible warning of schedule slippage, and to work with freelancers, Authors, Editorial Managers/Team Leaders and Production to recover lost time and prevent further slippage as far as possible.
- Cost - To understand and achieve budgeted controllable cost variances, particularly on looseleaf and periodical titles. To manage and control corrections so as to minimise extra costs. To deal proactively with potential cost variances caused outside the Commentary Department.
- To achieve the required level of self management of priorities and workload.
- To establish and maintain good working relationships with team members, colleagues from other departments, authors and freelances.
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Computer literacy
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience in an editorial role, working on a wide range of titles including digital products, or other relevant experience.
Education/ Certifications Required:
- Degree (or commensurate experience).
- Publishing or legal qualification (desirable).