Head of Finance - Croydon Council
Coast to Capital is the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) for one of the most exciting and successful parts of England. Our area covers Croydon, East Surrey, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, and Lewes. We determine regional economic priorities, support businesses and make investments to drive growth and job creation. Our small, highly motivated and engaged team is very ambitious for the future of the region and we have a vacancy for the newly created position of Head of Finance.
Croydon Council have recently been appointed as the Accountable Body for Coast to Capital and operate the statutory financial and legal assurance function on their behalf.
This role is a Croydon Council appointment working directly with both Coast to Capital and Croydon Council to provide strong financial leadership and support to both Coast to Capital and Croydon Council in its role as Accountable Body.
The role requires an experienced and self-motivated accountant, who will work closely with the Coast to Capital Chief Executive and Section 151 at Croydon Council, to help shape the business and ensure best in class financial stewardship. This post will also support the commercial finance elements of the organisation similarly to a finance director in the private sector. The post holder will take overall responsibility for ensuring that all aspects of the business are accurately and efficiently carried out in accordance with recognised accounting standards, LEP requirements, and within set deadlines, in partnership with our Accountable Body and its statutory S.151 accounting officer.
This is a practical and hands-on role which requires an ability to work well at a strategic level and assert high professional standards with a wide range of partners including Board members, local authorities and financial professionals. The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant and have experience of working both within the public and commercial private sectors, with current knowledge of public accountancy and finance practice. They will be able to contributing as part of the senior leadership team and be experienced in contributing to the wider corporate management of the organisation.
Duties and responsibilities
This post holder will be responsible for advising the Board on all aspects of financial strategy and financial management, working closely with the Board, including;
- Strategic financial planning across the organisation.
- Acting on behalf of the S151 officer from our Accountable Body.
- Being able to both operate at strategic and operational level as part of a small team.
- Development and advice on the Coast to Capital commercial strategy.
- Scrutiny and advice on the Growing Place Fund investment portfolio.
- Analysis of investment plans from private companies in the Cost to Capital small business grant scheme.
- Helping develop options around the use of non-government revenue streams and advising on long-term financial sustainability.
- Bringing best practice from other examples of public/ private cooperation to help meet our goal of being the best LEP
- Developing, implementing and operating financial management and control systems / processes that align with the organisation's overall vision and its current and future business objectives.
- Leading and contributing to strategic planning and tactical decision-making as part of the wider management team. Ensuring all financial risks are fully understood and actioned appropriately.
- Ensuring that accounting standards and internal control procedures are compliant for both internal and external auditor requirements
- Ensuring accurate and timely preparation and reporting of monthly management, annual statutory accounts, income and expenditure and cash forecasts, budgets and projections for the executive and the Board
- Providing strategic leadership on the cash flow management decisions and manage the organisation’s cash flow on a day to day basis including operating and optimising treasury management policies.
- Directly manage and appraise staff within the finance function.
- Be responsible for all elements of the company payroll.
- Providing necessary levels of assurance and information to the S151 officer and being able to act on their behalf.
Experience and Qualifications:
- CCAB or CIMA Qualified Accountant
- Excellent problem solving, strategic and technical accountancy skills
- Excellent analytical and planning skills
- Excellent time management and prioritisation
- Understanding of Local Enterprise Partnerships
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to represent the company professionally to a wide range of audiences including other Government bodies
- Ability to work under pressure, self-motivated, and to be flexible as part of a small but growing team.
- Experience of building high performing teams and leading and developing staff.
- Attention to detail and deadlines.
- Ability to assess priorities, and to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise.
- Ability to provide robust support to the organisation and an ability to be flexible with changing demands.
Key Stakeholder Relationships:
- Internal: Coast to Capital Board, Chief Executive and Senior Management Team.
- External: Government departments and agencies, Auditors, Accountable Body, Partner organisations and suppliers, Professional bodies.
This post is politically restricted under the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, as amended by the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 and the post holder may not have any active political role either inside or outside of the workplace.
Further information about Coast to Capital may be found at:
To apply for this role please send your CV and a supporting statement (no more of 2 sides of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information can be found in the job advert.
Coast to Capital and Croydon Council is committed to achieving diversity and equality of opportunity both as an employer and as a commissioner of services.