Head of Technical Pricing
About the role
The UK personal lines market is one of the most competitive and advanced insurance markets in the world, and profitable growth of the Personal Intermediary and Corporate Partnership business forms a key part of AXA strategic plans.
The key determinant of profit and growth for all personal lines accounts are good pricing models underpinned by sound analysis and management of risk and this role will offer you the opportunity to make a real impact the top and bottom lines of the P&L account.
In this role you will be leading the team that continually statistical models of claims, fees and fraud drivers using traditional and data science/contemporary techniques, continually seeking new sources of predictive data.
Apart from your relevant technical expertise and leadership skills, key to your success will be your ability to respond quickly and efficiently to shifting business priorities and market developments to ensure performance is in line with financial plans.
What you will be doing
- Accountable for predictive model delivery (claims and expenses).
- Responsible for creating and regularly improving predictive geographical and vehicle classification factors.
- Lead the transformation within PICP pricing towards use of 'Big Data’ and data science techniques within claims and expense models.
- Develop strategy for a programme of model refreshes to ensure weakest areas of pricing models are improved.
- Envisioning, creating and testing new rating factors from existing data.
- Articulate relative confidence of model outputs and set parameters for deviation from expected claims cost prices to inform market pricing decisions.
- Develop strategy for assessing and deploying new external data sources to ensure business is further segmented and prices reflect expected claims costs.
What will you need?
- Detailed understanding of appropriate statistical techniques for multivariate modelling and geographical classification
- Advanced level knowledge of pricing software, ideally the Towers Watson suite
- Good understanding of data science techniques such as machine learning
- Excellent numerical mathematical skills. Degree in a mathematics related discipline or evidence of equivalent proficiency. A financial/actuarial/general insurance professional qualification or demonstrating equivalent technical expertise and insurance knowledge to fulfil key accountabilities for the role
- Experience of managing a team across multiple locations. Proven coaching ability
- Strong influencing and relationship management skills - both within and outside immediate team
- Project Management skills (including Resource Management skills), including proven knowledge of managing medium to large projects
- Good understanding of actuarial reserving techniques
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines whilst maintaining reliability and accuracy
What we offer
With a presence in 59 countries, and 160,000 employees serving the needs of 103 million customers, AXA is big. In fact, we’re the world’s number one insurance brand, and one of the Sunday Times Top 25 Best Big Companies to work for. But we’re not too big to care for - or listen to - everyone who works with us. You see, we value your ideas and your experience. We want you to continue to develop and grow, and we’ll offer you all the learning, development and progression opportunities you need for your professional skills and career to flourish.
Proud to be part of the AXA Group, the number one global insurance brand and a worldwide leader in financial services, AXA Insurance businesses employ over 5,500 in a network of offices across the UK. Our expert teams care for a huge range of customers, helping them protect their cars, homes and businesses against life’s uncertainties. Whether bought directly, through brokers or through a number of corporate partners, our market-leading products are trusted by millions.
As you’d expect from a global leader, our reward package is a world-beater - here’s a small selection of our current benefits.
- Annual bonus Scheme
- Joint contribution ('money purchase’) pension scheme.
- Free life assurance (10 x basic salary)