Software Engineer Apprentice - Birmingham (B37)
It's an exciting time looking for a special role to take that first step on your chosen career path.
Sopra Steria has a global team of more than 38,000 employees working across 20 countries - with around 6,700 in the UK alone. Together we support the systems, services and processes that make today's world turn, finding real solutions to our clients' business challenges and touching the lives of millions around the globe each and every day. By joining our innovative and dynamic UK team, you will be given access to a diverse set of roles and opportunities to help you to shape a successful and rewarding IT services & consulting career.
Currently seeking an ambitious individual for a Software Engineer Apprentice position. As a Junior Software Engineer you will use technologies relevant to our clients' challenges as part of project engagements or assignments.
Responsibilities of the Software Engineer Apprentice:
- Be trainer to have a basic understanding of relevant software engineering tools, techniques and methods within their area.
- Develop existing skills around problem analysis. You will have the ability to follow design expressed as UML. You will develop an understanding of programming models, understand the value that can be driven from data and information, via business intelligence and advanced analytics.
- Obtain knowledge of scripting and coding languages, web technologies, middleware technologies, data management & data quality tools, analytics & data science tools and SQL and no SQL databases.
- You will produce design deliverables including detailed software design, physical design, conceptual, logical and physical data models.
- Build software components, configure commercial off the shelf (COTS) software products, conduct unit testing, action changes / corrections, understand and apply configuration management principles.
- You will create test data / environment and handling customer service requests.
Requirements of the Software Engineer Apprentice:
- It would be advantageous to have programming experience using SQL Server, HTML, CSS, SAS, Microsoft, SPSS, Java, C#, C++, Python, R, SAP BusinessObjects, .NET or other Business Intelligence technologies
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Work experience is desirable
- A highly motivated self-starter who is enthusiastic about technology with a desire to build on existing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- A professional and effective communicator
- Flexible in terms of location and mobility (generally UK focused) although initially based at our Birmingham office
Salary & Working Hours:
- £270 per week
- 7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday, but with the flexibility to meet specific customer requirements