Engineer Highways Design
Momentum Recruitment are currently seeking a highways design engineer to work as part of the team at Portsmouth City Council.
To support senior engineers and to successfully design and deliver highway schemes from inception through to completion. Schemes will range from small junction improvements through to multimillion pound major projects.
Design: To propose scheme options and prepare designs from inception through to detailed design and subsequent implementation in accordance with current national and local design standards and policies; giving due consideration to health and safety, equalities and sustainability.
Project Management: To establish agreed solutions with interested parties, which meet engineering and environmental considerations. To establish achievable scheme programmes. To manage external consultants, as well as project staff to ensure targets are achieved.
Financial Control: To prepare estimates, monitor and review project costs to ensure completion within agreed budgets. Project costs being works, predicted maintenance costs and design and site supervision fees.
Scheme Implementation: To prepare, tender and assess contract documentation , to ensure the construction of works on site are to programme and within project budget. To provide technical input and project management throughout the construction period. Agreeing final measures.
To represent the team and ultimately City Council at meetings, to assist and carry out consultations on scheme proposals and to advise members as necessary. To liaise with project client, project team, consultants and the general public. To prepare reports, as required
To maintain personal technical expertise in new methods and technologies. To encourage assistant engineers/students to pursue personal development through effective supervision and allocation of work.
You need to:
• Be educated to HND or degree level in Civil Engineering (or equivalent).
• Have an appropriate professional qualification (e.g. CEng or IEng) together
with membership of the appropriate professional body. (e.g. ICE) or clear
evidence that you are working toward these.
• A suitable project management qualification e.g. Prince 2, would be desirable.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Have recent and relevant post graduate experience.
• Be able to carry out engineering projects with values up to £500,000 from initiation through to completion without continual direction and with minimal input from line manager above this level.
• Have a good level of technical expertise.
• Be able to consistently deliver projects to programme and budget, including setting targets, monitoring progress and allocating resources.
• Have good experience of contract documentation preparation.
• Have good communication and reporting skills.
• Be able to liaise competently with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Offer engineering advice and mentor assistant engineers/students as
• Have a good commercial awareness.
• Deputise for the senior engineer in their absence
For more information please contact Jordanna Lowe at Momentum Recruitment on 01889 567791