Assistant Procurement Specialist
Here at the National Trust, we’re a visitor attraction, a holiday provider, a retailer. We’re the nation’s largest landowner, its most extensive museum and one of its biggest catering operations. We might be a charity, but make no mistake, we have our fingers firmly on our financial pulse. We need to because every penny of our profit goes back into our work and gives us freedom to be even more creative in how we care for places and open them up to the hearts of the nation. Our procurement spend is huge but it’s crucial we’re spending money wisely, intelligently and sustainably. And that’s your challenge.
What it's like to work here
We provide the best possible working environment for you throughout the building whilst also promoting and fostering a sociable Heelis Community. Do great things for us and we’ll do great things for you and your career.
Heelis is the Central Office for the National Trust; it was named after one of the Trust’s biggest benefactors Mrs William Heelis, There are approximately 500 staff from across the Trust’s directorates, including the Executive team and the Director General, are based here.
Heelis was designed to be highly sustainable and has won a number of nationally recognised awards.Designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Architects in 2005, this architectural gem uses timber from our woodlands and wool from Herdwick sheep grazed on Trust farmlands, to help make Heelis a unique working environment.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant Procurement Specialist, you’ll be responsible for maintaining an expert understanding of the Trusts procurement systems and processes. You’ll support the Procurement Specialists in the development, planning and implementation of national contracts. Acting as Procurement team expert you’ll manipulate and extract system data information to a high degree of accuracy.
You will also be supporting the Procurement Team in driving up quality, innovation and ensuring our sustainable / environmental standards are met through helping to deliver the contract / supplier monitoring process. We’re committed to building long-term relationships with suppliers and sourcing goods and services ethically and, where possible, locally. So collaboration will sit at the heart of your role.
You will be based at Heelis, our Central Office in Swindon with some travel required to our regions in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Who we're looking for
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a small, highly professional team that has an integral role to play in supporting the National Trust. We’re looking for someone has/is:
- Studying towards the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS), or have equivalent professional experience.
- High level of understanding of procurement concepts, practices, strategy, governance and techniques
- Good knowledge of stakeholder engagement and communication processes
- Advanced knowledge and experience of data collection, processing and analysis techniques
- Good level of negotiation and influencing skills
- Proactive management of interpersonal relationships
- Strong collaboration and team working skills
And it will be helpful if you can demonstrate the following experience on your CV/application;
- Demonstrable experience of using procurement to deliver sustainable business objectives.
- Delivering successful negotiations to resolve complex commercial and contract issues
- Experience of developing and using eTendering and other procurement platforms
- Excellent data processing, analysis and report writing skills
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking