General Manager IT - Pallet Distribtion / Logistics
My client is one of the UK market leaders in the overnight distribution of small consignments of palletised freight throughout the UK and Europe. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a General IT Manager to work from their Birmingham location
This is an opportunity for a candidate who has fantastic vision and is able to see project implantation through from start to finish. This could be anything from the roll out of a major software update to the implementation of a new hosting centre. Key to this role is an excellent knowledge of security management systems and the ability quickly gain a high level of knowledge of the client's current infrastructure.
People management experiment is a necessity for this role as you will be managing a small team of six across the UK.
You will be up to date with cutting edge IT business technology and comfortable in supplier management and budget control of outsourcing activities.
* Review I.T. Business Continuity Policy
* Review Information Security Management System
* Manage Infrastructure Maintenance plan & proposed solutions
* Review 3rd Party Infrastructure Supplier Contracts
* Establish a 'Model' depot, specifying in detail, ideal ICT set up including hardware and infrastructure as a basis for Depot support and ICT recommendation.
* Review and implement the best support solutions for our infrastructure
* Produce server and hardware roll out plans
* Produce, test and update an IT disaster recovery plan
* Establish 3rd party system requirements and plan changes accordingly
* Manage all aspects of the infrastructure budget
* Co-ordinate the induction of new members onto the systems to ensure that key skills and knowledge are in place prior to commencement with the company
* Identify member training needs and coordinate the delivery of a suitably structured company system training program that can be delivered to all areas of the business
* Provide out of hours infrastructure cover as and when required
* Manage and develop the Network system "Contrado"
* Keep track of up and coming industry developments to keep and the forefront of the sector the industry leading technology.
* Direct Reports - Infrastructure Manager, IT Helpdesk
* Supervises on-going training initiatives and conducts training when appropriate for team members. Maintain skills matrix for all direct reports
* Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position and monitors progress
* Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed
* Coaches and develops employees regarding performance on an on-going basis
* Comprehends budgets and payroll reports as needed to assist Head of Hub Operations & Network Service Quality in the financial management of the department
* Participates in the management of department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals
* Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall business financial goals and sets objectives to achieve budgeted goals
Skills Knowledge and Qualities
* Have/ build an excellent working knowledge of our infrastructure
* Have/build and excellent working knowledge of Information Security Management Systems
* Project management experience
* Good understanding of a product lifecycle from installation through to ongoing support.
* Support team management experience
* Experience managing suppliers / contractors
* Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate clearly with senior management
* Knowledge of virtual server infrastructure is desirable but not essential
* Good operational logistics knowledge
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to influence others
* Ability to work well from own initiative and as part of a team, often to strict deadlines and KPIs
* Prepare and analyse performance reports