Are you an experienced Chef who enjoys working with local, home-grown produce, picked fresh every day from our very own walled garden? Do you thrive on working in a fast paced environment and being part of an enthusiastic team? Are passionate about producing outstanding food and enjoy inspiring others to deliver their very best? Do you want to work in an amazing location? If so, this role could be for you.
What it's like to work here
We’re busy transforming our catering operation at Attingham to improve our offer for the 400,000 visitors we welcome every year. Our 330 cover Carriage House Café is being expanded and having a complete make over with a brand new purpose built catering production kitchen, additional storage and goods-in provision. These new facilities will also supply the 3 other food outlets at Attingham, the 80 cover Mansion Tearoom, 40 cover Lady Berwick’s for those who want something a little special as well as the Greedy Pig pop up outlet.
We really understand the importance of locally, responsibly sourced ingredients which is why we have been awarded the Bronze-level Food for Life Catering Mark at Attingham. As an organisation we are continually looking for ways to improve our sourcing standards, supply chain and food offer.
There really is something for everyone and our front and back of house catering team work hard to offer fresh, seasonal food for all of our visitors so we can continue to be locally loved.
What you'll be doing
With your passion for food and your appetite to provide an exceptional service to your customers, you’ll work with the National Trust Cookbook framework to prepare and produce delicious food. Using your creative skills you’ll develop dishes which inspire visitors with our spirit of place. You’ll support and work alongside the Head Chef to ensure our menu reflects the seasons, and each dish is fresh, tasty and beautifully presented every time.
As a key part of the team you will lead by example to encourage a culture of exceptional service and will work effectively to deliver great results. You’ll be constantly seeking and developing new income opportunities and working to achieve financial targets and increase margins by minimising waste and controlling costs and resources.
You’ll supervise volunteers and occasionally other team members. Working alongside the team you’ll ensure everyone is compliant with relevant legislation and internal processes including food hygiene and COSHH procedures. You’ll be proud to share our valuable work with our customers, and look to maximise sales with new ideas so that the profit can be reinvested back into our conservation work.
Working life at Attingham is busy! We run a 364 day operation, open from 8am every day except Christmas day and until 7pm in the summer. Our customers love visiting all year round so working weekends and bank holidays is essential.
Who we're looking for
As an experienced Chef, you’ll be passionate about food and be driven to exceed customer’s expectations by delighting them with the delicious food you create, prepare and serve: You'll need to be:
- Customer focussed with great verbal and written communication skills
- A great team player
- Creative and proactive.
- IT literate
- Qualified in food preparation and cooking to City & Guilds or NVQ L2 or equivalent
And it will be helpful if you can demonstrate the following experience on your CV/application;
- Experience of successfully delivering a centrally developed menu in a fast paced, catering environment
- A track record of delivering exceptional customer service
- Practical experience of delivering catering best practice
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking