Head Of Legal Services
Due to retirement, we have a rare and rewarding opportunity for a highly skilled and dedicated legal professional to join Mencap as our Head of Legal Services, based in our Peterborough office.
Reporting to the Director of Quality, this role involves working with people at all levels of the organisation. The successful candidate will lead and manage legal services across the organisation, helping drive Mencap through steady growth and success. The current post holder has been with Mencap for 20 years and describes this role as " a fantastic job working with excellent colleagues engaging with some interesting law and helping to make a real difference to people`s lives on a daily basis".Working closely with our executive team, you will enjoy a varied portfolio of work, with an emphasis on providing commercial and pragmatic advice commensurate with the level of risk involved.
Key Skills and Experiences (Essential):
- Qualified Solicitor with substantial post qualification experience
- Ability to lead and manage a busy team of 6
- Experience and understanding of the third sector and charity law
- Experienced in managing a high volume of commercial procurement and contract activity
- Experienced in other civil law matters required to support the activities of larger national not for profit organisations
- Knowledge in respect to legal governance, risk management, compliance and regulatory matters
- Understanding and experience of social welfare law
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to explain complex legal information to a variety of audiences.
- In-house legal experience would be advantageous
The successful candidate will naturally practice and deliver the Mencap values on a daily basis. They will also need to be a strong minded individual with the ability to provide advice on various legal matters across the Mencap group of companies, supporting our fundraising public policy, campaigning activity and commercial and direct services work throughout the UK. The post holder will have the ability to command trust and respect ensuring that a sound relationship is maintained with Mencap`s executive team.
Does this sound like the career move you have been looking for…?
If the answer is yes, then we would love to hear from you!!
Click the "Apply" button to register your interest and start your Mencap journey today…. Good Luck!!
Please ensure you provide a FULL up-to-date CV, along with a covering letter stating why you are the ideal candidate for this position.
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- 32 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme*
- Amazing Induction from day 1
- Access to award winning training and development
- Service related sick pay when 6-month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Loans for bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability, and all our services support people to live the life they choose. Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You`ll have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist. We want to make you feel inspired to reach your potential.
Our work includes:
• providing high-quality, flexible services that allow people to live as independently as possible in a place they choose
• providing advice through our help lines and web sites
• campaigning for the changes that people with a learning disability want