Internal Audit Manager-Public Sector
Your new company
I am working exclusively with Southampton City Council based in Central Southampton to recruit in to a new position of Internal Audit Manager within a newly created team.
- Being part of the Southampton City Council team requires people who are willing to take personal responsibility for delivering excellence, to work with others to achieve the best possible outcomes, to embrace change and new opportunities and to make the most of the resources available.
- Internal Audit, which is part of the Council's Finance and Commercialisation Team, provides a statutory requirement to advise, alert and assure the Council on the effectiveness of its systems of internal control which means focussing on key risks that prevent objectives being achieved, the controls needed to mitigate the risks, and how effectively the controls are working.
- An in-house Internal Audit function is being re-established with the ethos of take pride in our work by valuing others and focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference.
Your new role
- You'll work closely with the Chief Internal Auditor in developing and delivering the council's Annual Internal Audit Plan in order that an annual opinion can be provided by the Chief Internal Auditor on the effectiveness of the internal control framework at the Council.
- You'll also support the Chief Internal Auditor in ensuring that the internal audit service is compliant with statutory and other relevant professional standards and oversee the delivery of investigations and counter fraud activities.
- As Audit Manager you will have responsibility for the day to day management of the service which includes taking an active lead in the direction and performance of the service, developing auditing techniques and methodologies, exploring imaginative ways of problem solving and effective client management.
- You'll also be responsible for managing members of staff within the team, including directing and reviewing work performed, as well as identifying development needs and training requirements.
What you'll need to succeed
- You'll need to have a professional accounting or auditing qualification (ACA, ACCA or IIA, CIA) and be able to demonstrate in depth knowledge and experience of compliance with the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards (PSIAS).
- This will be matched with knowledge and extensive experience of operating at a strategic and operational level together with knowledge and experience of corporate governance including: risk management, internal control environments and frameworks within Local Government.
- The ability to interpret complex legislation and to objectively analyse problems is essential in order to enable you to provide specialist advice and guidance to customers.
- This will be matched with experience in delivering and presenting reports and communicating clearly, professionally and confidently both orally and written, with strong skills across the Microsoft Office suite.
- You'll need to be able to demonstrate an up to date knowledge of legislation, examples include; Accounts and Audit Regulations; Money Laundering; Fraud Act 2006; PACE; Human Rights; DPA and have experience of directing and conducting special investigations.
- As Audit Manager you'll be expected to have experience in the management and development of staff and be able to supervise and motivate a team and have a detailed knowledge of tools required to undertake the role i.e. audit tools and techniques.
- Excellent planning, organisation and time management skills will be required together with the ability to manage conflicting priorities and prioritise appropriately to meet agreed objective deadlines.
What you'll get in return
- You'll get an excellent opportunity to develop your internal audit career within this exciting opportunity to help shape, develop and lead a newly established in-house Audit team.
- You'll receive high level exposure across the organisation have the opportunity to work closely with key stakeholders promoting a culture of control awareness and continual improvement.
- There will be the opportunity to develop both your own professional expertise, through on the job training and formal training and, in addition, you'll also receive a competitive salary.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.