Senior SQL DBA / Database Administrator
Senior Database Administrator / SQL DBA - Development, SQL ServerAn experienced SQL DBA / Database Administrator is required to join a technical operations team of a leading international Media and entertainment business.
The SQL Server DBA will be responsible for the entire SQL Server estate including in-house development and third party applications. You will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of all corporate applications. This is a "hands-on" position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of the development teams.
- Manage SQL Server databases (SQL Server 2000 / 2005 / 2008 / 2012 / 2014 / 2016 ) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Design and deployment of new SQL instances
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- SSIS and SSRS development and administration
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Advising development departments on performance improvements and best practice e.g. advise Developers on the most efficient database designs (tables, datatypes, stored procedures, functions, etc..)
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing training and guidance to 1st/2nd line support teams
- Creating migration plans for future upgrades to SQL Server 2016 and also the implementation and adoption of other non Microsoft related technologies (Big Data, MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop, MySQL)
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong commercial design, implementation and administration knowledge of MS SQL Server (SQL Server 2005/2008/12/ and ideally experience with SQL 2014 or 2016)
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), T-SQL, Powershell and using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Strong development DBA experience with previous experience of working with Developers and advising on best practice and efficient database designs
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Good administration, design and implementation knowledge of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, "get-it-done" personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus
Whilst our client are currently a Microsoft environment they are investigating and looking to adopt other non Microsoft technologies including Big Data, Cassandra, Hadoop, MongoDB so previous experience or a willingness to learn these new technologies is highly desirable.
In return you will work in a vibrant and progressive environment that offers strong development and progression opportunities with an extensive benefits package that include:
- Fantastic opportunities for development and promotion
- Awesome staff discounts
- Matched pension contributions
- A generous benefits package
This is based within easy commuting distance of North Hampshire a short commute from Berkshire, Surrey, Reading, Newbury, Fleet, Hook, Farnborough, Basingstoke, Salisbury, Guildford, Bracknell, Southampton, Andover and Winchester.