Support Worker - New Malden - Kingston-Upon-Thames
Support workers are vital in the lives of many disabled and elderly citizens who rely on their efforts to lead a normal life. While some regard this as a difficult role, this can be a remarkably rewarding position to those who enjoy helping others and making a positive impact on their lives. If you would like to make a positive difference in someone`s live and love helping less fortunate people, then this position is perfect for you.
At Raeburn Avenue we are looking for an active, caring, enthusiastic person with a `can do` attitude to join our person centered team to make a difference in the life of three (3) unique individuals (adults) who have mild to severe learning disability. Ideally you need to be organised, flexible, being able to use initiative as well as to work in a team, and able to support people with different abilities.
As a support worker, there`s no such a thing as a typical day - every day is interesting and varied. From providing personal care or emotional support to supporting someone with housework or to meet up with their friend for coffee - you will be providing support that makes a real difference to people`s lives.
We provide 24 hours` support, 7 days a week and the shifts are spread across mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends. Staff are also required to be able to do sleep-ins.
It would be great if you are a driver and willing to drive people we support. Although there is no car at the service, when people we support plan trips we rent a car to meet their needs and support them to achieve their set outcomes, but not to worry if you are not one. We still welcome everyone with the right values.
You would be supporting people with day to day tasks such as shopping, cooking, eating and drinking, laundry, personal care, cleaning, finances, medication administration. You would also support them to organise activities and access the community to socialise and for leisure as well as to attend health appointments.
The people we support have a wide variety of interests and hobbies: playing music and listening to it, football especially Chelsea, watching TV, Jacuzzi, going out on a day trips, various holidays, theatre, cinema, meeting friends and family, chatting to people, going for walks, going to church, having meal out, BBQ and parties, pottery, reflexology, and many other which are still out there to be explored.
People at Raeburn, would like their support worker to be genuinely nice and patient. Someone who is proactive, have ideas and can think outside the box. Someone who listens to them and include them in all aspects of their life. Someone who is friendly and respect their choice but give them guidance and encouragement to achieve whatever they want to make a real difference to their life.
* Please see the additional information tab at the bottom of this advert for more details on the people we support
*An enhanced DBS will be required for each successful candidate (Paid for by Mencap, T&Cs apply)
Benefits and rewards
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme*
- Amazing Induction from day 1
- Access to award winning training and development
- Service related sick pay when 6-month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Loans for bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract
Mencap is the leading voice of learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You`ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We`ll ask a lot of you - but you`ll get back so much more. With us, it`s never `just a job`.
Support workers have a massive impact on the lives of the people they support. You can help us to make a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability here and now.
That means listening to them, understanding what they like, and supporting them to make decisions and achieve the things they want to achieve.