Estimator / Surveyor
Our client is a national award winning business that designs, builds and furnishes high performance working environments, with exciting and ambitious plans to grow the business to become the best of its’ kind in the region.
They are looking for someone special to join their Design and Estimating team.
Main Role Outlined
Working from their offices in Sheffield, this challenging and exciting position offers a role with excellent career and development prospects and an opportunity to make a real difference in a dynamic, design-led company embarking on a significant expansion and business development programme.
The Estimator/Surveyor role involves working with both internal (Colleagues) and external (Client) stake holders, and primarily involves the preparation of a Client brief, (Space planning and Site Surveys) estimating detailed costs from first principles, preparation of subcontract work packages, analysis of returned quotes and tender submissions.
They require an organised individual who can work at a fast pace, likes to get things done, and who will be a confident and effective communicator both verbally and written. You will have a full working knowledge of Microsoft Office components, and AutoCAD, you will have the ability to work on your own initiative or as part of a team and like to work to deadlines!
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will have knowledge or experience in an Architectural/Interiors/Construction/Shop fitting environment, however more importantly, have an eye for detail, the ability to piece together and co-ordinate multiple costs and contractors within a project. They are looking for someone who can manage and influence both client and supplier relationships, someone who has a can-do attitude.
Job Role Requirements
The role will involve an element of site visits across the UK either supported by a Business Development Manager, or alone; therefore a driving licence and a confident, professional approach are essential.
- Ability to read tender information and understand building and construction drawings and have an understanding of engineering or architectural principles.
- To discuss and understand a Client brief
- Create project specification from a Client brief (Either from tender documentation or a Design and Build Project)
- Calculating a final figure for the estimated cost, supplemented by adjustments for overheads and profit, presenting a tender price
- Detailing all the materials and subcontractors necessary for the contract to achieve specification
- Estimating the cost of plant and equipment
- To estimate job timings, labour requirements and programming
- Monitoring and storing costs through the use of Excel spreadsheets to improve the accuracy of future pricing.
- To be able to communicate and liaise with customers, suppliers, sub-contractors and site personnel.
- Will have good numerate skills for calculating and analysing
- Have good communication skills, written and spoken
- Have computer skills and experience in computer-aided design
- A systematic and tidy mind with an ability to concentrate for long periods on details vital to the project.
- Have the ability to work unsupervised
- Have the ability to think through problems quickly
- Be customer focused
- Have the ability to meet tight deadlines and objectives
The hours of work are generally Monday to Friday 8:45am – 5:15pm with ½ an hour for lunch although you will need to be flexible as the needs of our clients may demand additional hours to ensure we meet their brief.
Holiday entitlement is 20 days plus statutory holidays
The position offers a competitive salary; if you feel you are ready for this challenge then we would love to hear from you!