Support Engineer (1st Line & 2nd Line)
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
ServerChoice have been providing managed and cloud hosting solutions out of its two world class data centres for over 10 years. Our motto, "Smart Thinking. Delivered", means we take a right first time approach, rather than continually tweaking it after the initial build. ServerChoice have become one of the first Hosting companies in the world to become PCI-DSSv3.1 Level 1 Service Provider and specialise in designing and building fast, secure and scalable solutions for customers.
As a Support Engineer within our Engineering team, you will be responsible for analysing and troubleshooting all aspects of our customers’ hosted infrastructure.
ServerChoice heavily invest in new technology, and have Windows and Linux based solutions hosted on a variety of cloud platforms. At ServerChoice, we understand that the world of IT tech moves at a blistering pace, so we promise to invest in your ongoing training and are avid about getting you accredited to the highest level.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
You will be joining a small, close knit team who, as part of the wider Engineering team, are responsible for diagnosing and resolving issues on customer environments while ensuring that customers receive the level of service they have come to expect from us. You will be trained and competent in all internal monitoring systems and maintenance procedures and will specialise in identifying potential performance issues on all platforms, server hardware and networking. You will also be monitoring the datacentre infrastructure to make sure that power, cooling, fire suppression and connectivity are all running smoothly.
- Monitoring our network and core infrastructure on a 24 hour basis using our monitoring system and fixing any issues that arise or escalating within the department as required
- Sign in and escort colocation customers that have booked in visits to work on their equipment / servers
- Providing "hands on" support for colocation customers (Reboot servers, basic trouble shooting)
- Working on all tickets raised by customers within set SLA (Service Level Agreements)
- Diagnosing technical faults within the live environment and resolving issues or escalating within the department as required.
- Working with other internal business units to resolve relevant technical queries, issues and tasks
- Escalating tasks as necessary to the relevant departments and/or inform the team leader of long running problems
- Communicating repetitive tasks/application issues to the team leader
- Liaising with Support Team Leader regarding quality of tickets escalated to 2nd line and highlight any recurring errors or needs for further training within the Support Team
- Basic Windows Desktop and Server trouble shooting
- Answering the out of hours telephone for customers and provide technical assistance where needed or raise to the relevant personnel and provide call backs where needed.
- Providing onsite support to the wider Engineering team for customer installations
- Completion of change requests for customers as and when needed
WORKING HOURS: Average weekly hours – 33 hours per week,
24/7 roster pattern including weekends.
Shift times are: 0750 – 1610; 1550 – 00:10; 2350 - 0810
Experience and Knowledge required:
- Working knowledge of Windows Server Management (Active Directory/MsExchange/MsSql)
- Working knowledge of Linux Server Management (Apache)
- Basic understanding of virtualisation
- Previous experience working for a managed hosting company preferable
- Ability to work within agreed SLAs
- Able to work independently and autonomously within a time critical environment
- Proactive and driven with a strong desire to hit and exceed internal service standards
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- High standard of customer care and problem solving/trouble skills
- Self-motivated with a desire to succeed in a challenging environment
- Willing to drive their own internal development with minimal supervision and direction
BENEFITS & PERKS:
- 25 days annual holiday (plus an additional day for your birthday)
- Company pension
- Frequent team events
- Games Room/ Chillout lounge
- Subsidised local gym membership
- Childcare Vouchers
Please note that as part of the recruitment process a criminal record check will be carried out by an authorised third party.