Senior Java Engineer
Hermes are embarking on a technical revolution unlike anything the company has gone through before, this is as a result of growth and demand from our customers and the fact that technology is forever evolving.
To tell you a little more about us, we are the UK's leading consumer delivery specialist handing over 270 million parcels last year. We have a 15% growth year on year for the last 5 years, a result from our 2,500 hardworking and committed people.
Our people have the freedom to be innovative and change is welcomed with a vision in mind to continually grow and improve our business which in turn will make our customer's experience the best it has ever been.
Here at Hermes, you will be working in a fast paced, agile yet down to earth environment with people who care about your development and have a real passion for the latest technology.
Reporting into the Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring all aspects of the SDLC meet the agreed standards and quality. You will be responsible for coaching and mentoring Junior Engineers to ensure high standards in our deliverables and maintaining quality throughout future release iterations.
As a Senior Engineer you will establish and maintain strong relationships with Principal Engineers, Agile Delivery Managers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Business Analysts, Engineers and 3rd parties.
- Cassandra , Oracle
- RabbitMQ , ActiveMQ
- AWS, Docker, Ansible
- Jenkins, Sonar
- Spring Data, Hibernate
- Apache Camel
- Selenium, Cucumber
- Ensure all deliverables factor in support and operational requirements to ensure continuous deployment can be maintained at a known velocity
- Participate in the design of software solutions, including applications design, database design, data-flows and detailed technical design working with the Solutions Architect as appropriate
- Produce accurate and unambiguous functional and technical documentation of products, systems and services prior to and during development
- Actively participate in the definition of scope of projects and estimates of timescales for development and operational/technical evolution work
- Balance the commercial needs of the business against the ideal software design, proposing sound phased or tactical implementations balanced against a baseline of 24x7 support and monitoring
- Help in the identification of issues, risks and dependencies pertaining to testing
- Develop using primarily agile development techniques such as SCRUM, Kanban and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Be responsible for coaching and mentoring the junior engineers and test engineers within a squad to support continuous improvement in our software, testing and design processes and practices
- Manage individual and stream relationships with 3rd party providers of software solutions
- Constantly seek to improve the quality of 3rd party processes and deliverables
- Provide an end-to-end regression testable solution that enables automated unit and behavioural (BDD) testing to be run as part of the standard build process
- Experience of Software Design
- Java 8, J2EE, Spring
- Agile development
- Defining software methodologies and standards
- Working with 3rd part suppliers
- Experience of interpreting/negotiating business requirements
As well as working with some of the most talented professionals in our industry, you can take full advantage of our fantastic benefits we have to offer here:
- 26 days holiday + bank holidays
- Up to 10% bonus
- Free on site parking
- Flexible working hours
- Laptop/mobile phone
- Full training/development programme
- Discounted gym and myhermes memberships
- Subsidised on-site canteen
- And so many more