Principal Highways Design Engineer
Job Title: Principal Highways Design Engineer
Salary: £45K - £50K
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Highways Design Engineer. As Principal Design Engineer you will be managing the delivery of highway schemes and solutions. You will be technically competent in dealing with all types of infrastructure projects, and will manage project teams and undertake the day to day client liaison and management. You will be expected to be able to identify business opportunities communicating and discussing these with the Management Team.
The design team works with major private sector clients and an increasing public sector workload. The workload is wide ranging and covers all aspects of highway design from; feasibility to construction supervision and include minor highway improvements to major new road and infrastructure schemes.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Management of infrastructure projects.
2. Developing innovative design solutions to serve and benefit Clients.
3. Inspiring junior staff to develop innovative design solutions to serve and benefit Clients.
4. Proactively contributing to the technical development of the design function in the UK.
5. Providing technical support and advice to junior staff
6. Commercial and technical management of projects ensuring that projects are managed effectively within budgetary constraints.
7. The day-to-day management of the junior members of the design function in the UK
8. Identification of business opportunities
9. Preparation of fee proposals
10. Assistance in preparation of Pre-Qualification Questionnaires.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
1. Relevant degree or equivalent level qualification
2. Extensive relevant post qualification experience on Highways Projects such as S278, S38 and S104 agreements
3. Hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or working towards this
4. Ability to prepare briefs and manage project costs and budgets
5. Working knowledge of design standards - DMRB, MfS
6. Understanding of highway design software, such as MX, WINDES, etc.
7. Working knowledge of utilities provision, diversions and construction practices
8. Knowledge of the implications of works on the environment and knowledge of sustainable construction practices
9. Full understanding of the health and safety legislation covering the construction industry
10. Management and project management skills to supervise and deliver a programme of works
11. Working knowledge of contract procurement, specification, supervision and contract administration experience. (NEC Contract, MCHW).
12. Excellent communication skills, including ability to write reports and prepare presentations
13. Ability to manage and motivate junior staff
14. Hold a current UK driving Licence
What do you do now?
If you wish to discuss this vacancy further, please contact David So on or send your CV to: - keep up to date with our vacancies on the Appoint Group Consulting Engineering page on LinkedIn.