To ensure the accounts of the business are maintained in accordance with both statutory and company requirements and procedures and to contribute to the continued development and improvement of the financial reporting process.
To manage and control the finance department, ensuring the efficient and effective use of resources to meet all deadlines.
To provide financial support and advice to the senior management team, contributing to the direction and profitability of the business.
This role has both technical and people management responsibilities, and has a need to communicate effectively with both internal and external parties.
The Finance function is central to the effective operation of the business, and is essential to monitor and report on performance and provide information and services to a range of stakeholders including management, shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers and regulatory and statutory authorities.
The Financial Controller has day to day responsibility for ensuring the financial systems and processes of the business are operating effectively and accurately to meet the objectives of the business.
As a service provider, there is a fundamental requirement for the finance department to work closely with its "customers" to provide a quality service. There is a need for continuous communication, accurate processing of documentation and a proactive awareness of business, accounting and systems developments.
Financial: One active statutory company
Other: Meeting monthly reporting deadlines
Meeting statutory return deadlines
1. To improve financial reporting systems of the business.
2. To keep management advised on all financial issues .
3. Review daily cashflow forecasts
4. Preparation of all financial statements on a monthly and annual basis
5. To advise and proactively support managers re improving efficiency.
6. To ensure all company and statutory financial requirements are met to strict deadlines.
7. To manage the production of the monthly Management Accounts ensuring that the information is complete, accurate and timely.
8. To manage the finance team to ensure that:
(i) All customer and supplier payments and invoices are processed efficiently and promptly
(ii) All customer and supplier queries are dealt with promptly and efficiently
(iii) All statutory returns and payments are completed and made within the deadlines
(iv) All payroll returns and payments are completed and made within the deadlines
(v) All ledgers are closed and reconciled in line with agreed timetables
9. To recruit, develop, retain and motivate staff within the finance team.
10. To ensure all company policies and procedures, in particular health and safety and risk assessment, are implemented consistently.
Routine Accounting - 30%
Projects - 70%
1. Preparation & development of Annual Budgets & Forecasts (KPIs etc)
2. Preparation & development of Monthly Management Pack (accrual accounting)
3. All Balance Sheets accounts are checked by agreeing to lists monthly.
4. Monitoring cash flow
5. Managing & authorising electronic payments
6. Supervising credit control
7. Continuously looking to improve systems, controls, processes and procedures
8. Assisting all auditors (statutory, VAT, PAYE, PCC Internal) & minimising penalties
9. Reviewing & authorising statutory returns (VAT, P14/35, P60, duty deferment)
10. Review & set up of the payroll
11. Ensuring staff are productively occupied. Regularly updating job descriptions
12. Regular training & appraising of staff.
13. Continuously identifying opportunities to add value by:-
Liaising and communicating with suppliers & staff, attending meetings, researching on the internet.
14. Presenting identified opportunities to clearly show the financial benefit to gain authorisation.
15. Identifying the correct specification & supplier. Implementing.
16. Any other projects and activites as requested
Without referral: Expenditure up to £30,000
On recommendation: Staff appointment and disciplinary subject to Director's approval
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Qualified Accountant i.e. ACCA, CIMA, ACA
• Accounting experience, minimum 5 years
• Commercial awareness (including purchasing)
• Systems orientated (confident in using IT (spreadsheets, SAGE payroll, Navision etc) to improve efficiency
• Team player - able to train & work with staff & managers to develop efficiency
• Conscientious & motivated to add value.
• Hands-on approach
Competencies (behaviours) Skills (and knowledge)
• People Management
• Decision Making
• Customer Service
• Planning and Organising
• Influence and impact
• Attention to Detail
• Expertise • Budgetary Control
• Project Management
• Computer Literacy
• Performance review
• Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Producing accurate results & prompt meaningful analysis of them.