Europe House School Visits Officer
- Location: Tottenham (Seven Sisters), London, with travel across the UK required
- Hours: Full time - 37.5 hours per week.
- Contract: Fixed term until end of March 2019 (with possible extension)
- Salary: £30,000pa + 3% pension contribution
- Holiday: 28 days pa, includes bank holidays
- Reporting to: Project Manager, Director
Involver is a social enterprise that works to engage young people in playing an active, democratic role in their communities. We work directly with young people and the adults who support them.
We have developed programmes and resources for Parliament’s Education Service, Peabody Housing, The Children’s Commissioner, Changemakers and many schools and local authorities.
Since 2015, the founding team helped to establish the charity, Smart School Councils, www.smartschoolcouncils.org.uk to develop inclusive, active learning about and practice of democracy in schools.
Involver is contracted by the European Commission (EC) and the European Parliament’s UK Information Office (EPIOUK) to deliver informal educational sessions on the European Union to secondary-age young people in the UK. We deliver these sessions at Europe House in Westminster and in schools and colleges around the country. We have established effective, fun sessions that we adapt to the ever-changing context of Brexit.
We work with partners to deliver and promote these sessions. The European Society help us find volunteer support staff to assist at sessions. YouthLink Scotland promote and deliver the sessions in Scotland. Smart School Councils help us promote the sessions to schools.
In total we need to deliver 140-150 sessions per year. Roughly half will be at Europe House and half outside of London. In many cases we are able to deliver more than one session a day. About 12 of these sessions will be delivered by YouthLink Scotland per year. We aim to have a geographically balanced number of groups represented.
Your core role
- Recruit schools and colleges from across the UK to participate in these sessions.
- Deliver sessions to school and college groups at Europe House.
- Deliver sessions to school and college groups in their schools/colleges across the UK.
- Liaise with schools and Europe House to arrange dates, equipment and other practicalities.
- Make travel arrangements to get to sessions.
- Liaise with our partners to arrange sessions in Scotland and find support volunteers to assist in running sessions.
- Compile monthly reports to be sent to the EC and EPIOUK.
- Work with partners to evaluate sessions.
- Adapt and develop sessions in response to current events and feedback from students, staff and partners.
- Work with EC and EPIOUK to find and pursue other opportunities for education of young people about the EU.
There are existing, effective processes for all the above tasks. Your role will be to follow and refine them.
Your additional responsibilities
- Contribute to Involver’s social purpose by supporting Smart School Councils Community, during any quiet work days. We expect this to be 2 days per month on average.
- Seek out and develop new opportunities for Involver around education for democracy and participation.
This is a fixed term contract until the end of March 2019 with a possible extension.
We are looking for someone self-managing, responsible and creative who has the following qualities:
- At least two years’ experience of teaching or educational youth work.
- Experience of developing fun, engaging educational sessions/materials.
- Referees who can attest to your ability to perform the above well.
- A strong interest in politics, current affairs and the EU.
- A willingness to keep up with current affairs and expand your knowledge.
- A willingness to travel to visit schools/colleges (including occasional overnight stays). All reasonable travel expenses will be paid by Involver.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office applications.
- Full, clean UK’s driver’s licence.
- Access to a car.
- Degree or higher qualification in a related subject (e.g. International Relations, Politics, EU Law, European Studies).
- Ability to maintain a simple website.
- Experience of marketing educational sessions to schools.
An enhanced DBS check will be carried out on anyone offered the position.
How to apply:
To apply for this role, please send us your:
- A letter detailing how you satisfy the person specification on a maximum of two pages.
Please send your application by 10am on Monday 1st of May 2017
If you’d like to ask a question about this role, please email info (at) involver.org.uk. First stage interviews will be held on Saturday 6th of May.