Role: Software Tester
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Travel: Possibility for travel to client sites throughout the UK
We have roles available across the following Accenture career levels depending on skills and experience
Analyst: £26,100 - £30,500
Senior Analyst: £31,424 - £37,500
Specialist / Team Lead: £36,725 - £42,700
Job Type: Permanent
Job reference: 00406972
Join Accenture and help transform leading organisations and communities around the world. The sheer scale of our capabilities and client engagements and the way we collaborate, operate and deliver value provides an unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance.
Accenture Technology powers our clients to achieve high performance with best in class established and emerging technologies. We are able to extend our technology and business capabilities by working closely with market leaders and innovators to provide our clients with the best specialised skills and tailored solutions.
With Accenture Technology you will deliver everything from point solutions for a single business function to large, long term outsourcing services, to complex systems integration installations spanning multiple businesses and functions.
We are focused on aligning IT with business priorities, enabling a digital Accenture and driving down the cost of IT, while working to provide all of our employees with the capabilities to run a high-performing business!
What responsibilities will you have?
As a software tester, you will work as part of a larger project team. Following either agile or waterfall principles, you will successfully collaborate with multiple stakeholders and colleagues across multiple specialisms which could include; end users, key client representatives, business analysts, designers, developers, operations teams and more.
Specific activities can range from preparing and executing tests to defining strategies, implementing process improvements and coaching others. This also includes developing automated test frameworks and scripts. Throughout this process you will apply your proven expertise and skills with enthusiasm to deliver high quality outputs, utilising industry best practice and innovation.
Successful applicants will be responsible for helping clients realise the business value they desire, performing all aspects of testing to ensure applications meet business and user needs and are delivered to impeccable standards.
Test Planning and Preparation
- Undertake test planning activities for either Agile or Waterfall deliveries
- Plan own workload and scope/requirements
- Analyse functional and technical specifications and user stories to derive test cases and scenarios
- Participate in document and peer reviews
- Agree test scope and scenarios with key stakeholder and/or clients
- Demonstrates knowledge and practical experience of test tools and industry standard best practice
- Identify issues and risks relating to workload, escalate these appropriately and provide suggested mitigating actions
- Prepare input test data and expected results
- Review own test conditions, test scripts / user stories, input test data, and expected results for all test phases
- Effectively prepare regression, ad hoc and re-tests as required
- Develop test automation frameworks and test models
- Execute tests thoroughly to ensure software quality including running automated tests
- Identify faults/defects
- Liaise with the test lead/scrum team on any issues that may affect the schedule, budget, or quality of the product or the testing process
- Work with the project teams to resolve any issues in a timely manner
- For Agile deliveries, contribute to daily scrums, sprint reviews and retrospectives
- Complete demonstrations to the client on the completed features of the system
- Record problems and issues in accordance with the project's problem and issue management plans
- Actively contribute to process improvement initiatives and enhancements to current procedures including recommending quality improvements
- Assist the test lead with test closure reports and gaining sign off from key stakeholders
- Keep the team and relevant stakeholders informed of progress and any challenges
What skills and experience are we looking for?
We need passionate individuals who are able to work independently or as part of a larger team as required. We need people who want to help our clients’ business succeed and grow and who have a commitment to quality and strive to improve efficiency and deliver ever more effectively.
Specialists and Team Leads will, in additional to their core responsibilities, take responsibility for the technology solution, exhibiting deep technical skills or significant team lead experience. It will be the responsibility of the Test Lead to effectively deploy, execute, and deliver testing requirements as well as developing, supporting and driving the activities of team members.
- Experience of working in a similar testing role in a delivery-focused environment
- Experience in Software Testing
- Experience in Functional Testing
- Experience in Performance Testing (desirable not mandatory)
- Experience in Test Automation
- Knowledge of an Agile environment
- Experience of relevant testing tools for example HP ALM, IBM Rational toolset, Selenium, LoadRunner, JMeter, Gatling
- Accreditation in ISTQB foundation (desirable not mandatory)
- Test automation skills and knowledge of automated test tools for online applications e.g. Selenium (ideally including basic knowledge of Java and Cucumber)
- Experience of Web, Client/Server and or Unix/Linux execution
- Solid understanding of software architecture technologies (e.g. HTML, VB, .NET, XML, Java, Web Services, SOA, SOAP, Unix/Linux knowledge)
- Experience of batch scripting/testing
- Experience of SQL
- Knowledge of performance test tools such as LoadRunner, JMeter, Gatling
What professional attributes and qualifications do you need?
- Good knowledge and understanding of QA processes and the Testing industry
- Good understanding of testing concepts and how testing fits in with the overall project life cycle
- Fundamental knowledge of testing methodology (V Model, Waterfall, Agile etc.) and testing trends
- Awareness/experience of Agile principles/practices
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle, testing and quality processes
- Proven technical design skills
- Experience in project planning, management and team leadership (if relevant to the career level being applied for)
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Experience in working in a client facing environment is desirable
- Accreditation in ISTQB foundation (highly desirable)
All applicants should be fully flexible between Monday and Friday and prepared to work at any of our client locations across the UK, this may mean staying away from home during the working week.
What’s in it for you?
All of our Technology professionals receive comprehensive training covering business acumen, technical and professional skills development. You'll also have opportunities to hone your functional skills and expertise in an area of specialisation. We offer a variety of formal and informal training programs at every level to help you acquire and build specialised skills faster. Learning takes place both on the job and through formal training conducted online, in the classroom, or in collaboration with others. The sheer variety of work we do, and the experience it offers, provide an unbeatable platform from which to build a career.
On top of this, we have an extensive benefits package which includes 25 days’ vacation per year, gym subsidies, private medical insurance and 3 extra days leave per year for charitable work of your choice!
What are the next steps?
If this sounds like the ideal role, career and company for you, click below to apply.
Any offer of employment is subject to satisfactory BPSS and SC security clearance which requires 5 years continuous UK address history at the point of application.
To find out more about the role, our Newcastle Delivery Centre and what it’s like to be a part of our brilliant team visit our microsite at www.accenture.com/newcastle
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialised skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions—underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network—Accenture works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. Accenture drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives.
Accenture is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of society and does not discriminate on grounds of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law.
Closing Date for Applications 31st August 2017
Accenture reserves the right to close the role prior to this date should a suitable applicant be found.