Job: Sustaining/Component Engineer
Location: Milton Keynes
My Client is seeking an experienced Sustaining/Component Engineer to join their expanding team.
Main Function of the Job:
This role is a post-development support position. The primary functions of the Sustaining /Component Engineer are to maintain our clients existing product portfolio by redesigning legacy products where necessary to ensure production continues smoothly as well as maintaining the component database.
- Provide technical support to our manufacturing facilities in China and the UK.
- Work with the Quality department to highlight common faults and redesign the product before failure occurs.
- Redesign legacy products after a failure occurs in the customer’s application.
- Conduct detailed failure analysis.
- Solve complex technical/commercial issues, working closely with all engineering disciplines within the company.
- Put corrective actions in place to improve quality and reliability.
- Write detailed and accurate technical reports.
- Update documentation, drawings and BOM listings as required.
- Conduct application based testing for the customer as required by the Business Development department.
- Redesign the product to reduce manufacturing and materials costs while maintaining product quality.
- Conduct laboratory based testing, working to internal and external standards with a high degree of accuracy.
- Maintain project plans and report on the progress of project work as requested by the section manager.
- Work with the Engineering team to meet the targets outlined.
- Take part in design reviews and be involved in the technical decision making process.
- Work to actively improve the company’s technical capabilities and systems.
- Provide technical support to other departments as required.
- Keep up-to-date status logs of tasks that are in progress. Ensure the systems used for this purpose are maintained and are effective.
- Source suitable alternatives to components where required.
- Redesign and requalify products where an alternative component is required but a suitable equivalent is not available.
- Assess component manufacturer’s PCNs and their impact on the product they are used on, following up with further action where necessary.
- Work with Process Engineer to obtain RoHS compliance data for components.
- Assist design engineers with second sourcing components for new designs.
- Liaise with component manufacturers’ technical departments to obtain further data if required.
To effectively perform the duties of a Sustaining Engineer, individuals must be able to demonstrate a number of competencies that are essential to the position, which include:
- Formal qualification equivalent to UK degree level in electronics or related discipline. Candidates with equivalent experience may be considered.
- Three years’ experience in analogue electronics, preferably power electronics.
- Have a sound theoretical understanding of analogue electronics.
- Have experience of conducting laboratory based testing and have an understanding of measurement techniques.
- Be willing to travel worldwide as required.
- Have knowledge of manufacturing methods used in the electronics industry.
- Have experience of working with defined project costs.
- Have the ability to multi-task and cope with a degree of pressure in a professional engineering environment.
- Ability to work accurately to defined timescales.
- IT literate.
- Able to work in a team effectively while being self-motivated.
- Be a proactive and good communicator to drive projects to timely completion.
- Knowledge of active and passive electronic components used in electronic power converters.
- Familiar with modern power conversion design techniques applicable to DC/DC converters up to 100W.
- Three years’ previous experience in a similar role, Sustaining Engineering, post-development support, failure analysis, etc.
- Experience of failure analysis tools and techniques.
- Experience designing electronic components for volume manufacturing.
- Knowledge of UL safety standards.
- Understanding of TQM tools, such as fishbone diagrams, FMEA, fault trees, etc.
- Formal Six-Sigma qualification.
- Knowledge of Automotive qualification standards (AEC) and tin whiskering phenomenon.
- Awareness of latest industry environmental directives such as RoHS, REACH and Halogen free.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/82237298