Post: Nursery Manager
Reports to: Nursery Director
Responsible For: Children's Care
Recruitment, Selection and Appointment of all staff Management, Induction and Training of all staff
Compliance with all Regulatory / Statutory requirements, Health and Safety, Overall Management of the Service,
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
NEB/HNC/SVQ 4 (Essential) (or acceptable equivalent)
PDA Childcare and Education/BA Childhood Practice
Manager's Award SVQ L4 (Desirable)
3 Years post qualified experience of which 2 have involved supervision and managing of staff
Good understanding and working knowledge of the regulatory documents (Girfec, Building the Ambition, Curriculum for Excellence, Pre-birth to Three)
All candidates must be a member of the PVG scheme and hold a SSSC registration.
The Nursery Manager is the leader of the nursery care team and, as such, has overall responsibility for the management of the nursery, maintenance of high standards of care, monitoring staff conduct and their performance.
There is a requirement to ensure that the staff/child ratios are met at all times. Staff will be recruited by the Manager who will ensure there is a balance of skill mix. He/she must be flexible and able to vary the working hours to meet the contingencies of the service, irrespective of the days and times, including bank holidays.
The Manager is designated the 'Person-in-Charge', in accordance with Care Inspectorate requirements and will work within the general philosophy.
The philosophy of care is as follows:
Firstly, to consider the child as an individual; to treat them with dignity and respect, to meet their physical, intellectual, emotional and social needs in a non-judgemental way.
Secondly, that the quality of care, resources and environment is conducive to the physical, intellectual, emotional, social and educational development of the children.
- excellent communication skills
- the ability to motivate and support staff
- problem-solving skills
- the ability to use your own judgement to make decisions
- organisational skills
- financial management skills
- IT skills
- To ensure that each child has a comprehensive detailed assessment, their care needs identified and each supported with the appropriate Care Plan.
These should be reviewed and amended as necessary and at pre-determined intervals.
- To maintain good communication with parents (seasonal newsletters, social media, notice boards etc) and where possible, to involve them in planning the individual child's care.
- To ensure that care interventions are accurately and promptly recorded.
- To ensure that all care is carried out in accordance with the nursery's policies and good practice.
- To take the nursery experiences and education forward including outdoor play.
- To review and maintain all policies, underpinned by best practice and current research findings.
- To recruit staff in a safe and robust manner (as per company policy) and to support and develop the nursery team.
- To monitor the conduct and performance of all staff, to take corrective/remedial action where necessary and to discuss with the nursery director any other training which may be necessary for individual members of staff.
- To adhere to the company's disciplinary and grievance procedure and where necessary, to always seek advice and guidance from the nursery director prior to taking any action.
- To ensure that all staff are inducted in accordance with the company's induction programme.
- To plan and implement all statutory training and any other identified training needs, as indicated by the process of training needs analysis.
- To liaise with all stakeholders and other relevant care professionals to ensure the child is at the centre.
- To supervise, instruct and to ensure full compliance with health and safety legislations; this includes COSHH regulations and ensuring that staff are aware.
- Ensure that all risk assessments are up to date, and fire drills are carried out on a regular basis and recorded accurately and promptly.
- To maintain the necessary numbers of staff, with the appropriate skills and experience, in order to satisfactorily meet the day to day needs of the children.
- To implement the Company's policies in respect of recruitment, selection, induction and training of staff.
- To maintain staff personal records and individualised training records in accordance with the requirements of care standards.
- To carry out staff apprai