Programme Development Specialist - FTC
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website:
Highways England is recruiting a Programme Development Specialist (Value Management Engineer) to join the Operations Directorate, the role is a fixed term contract for 9 months and will be based from our Bristol office.
As a Programme Development Specialist you will be required to work with the Programme Development Team Leader to deliver a robust and systemic Value Management (VM) process for the Region ensuring investment proposals and emerging solutions meet intended outcomes and provide the best lifecycle value.
Day to Day
* To plan, manage and deliver VM process related activities within expected timescales and quality standards.
* To manage the development of value management documentation and business cases, ensuring business outcomes are clearly articulated, and that all necessary stakeholders (e.g. engineering, design, delivery, supply chain teams etc.) provide inputs and are consulted on the development of proposed solutions/designs.
* To ensure proposed solutions are assessed using appropriate guidance and tools, present proposals and recommendations to stakeholders, including Route Managers and Safety, Engineering and Standards (SES), to agree solutions that address asset need.
* To work closely with Asset Engineers and Route Managers to identify and ensure that all technical surveys required to fully scope and cost VM options have been undertaken, monitoring progress to ensure completion within required timescales.
* To manage the value management documentation and business case approval process, timescales and impacts on the forward programme development process.
* Assist with the development of a forward programme that meets the needs of the network, our customers and business strategy.
* Work to identify opportunities for delivery efficiencies in the programme, such as sharing and combining works.
* To ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of activities.
* Demonstrable experience in a comparable role
* Experience in developing a programme that meets business needs and aligns with strategy i.e. supports effective achievement of key Performance indicators (KPIs)
* Knowledge of relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks
* Good personal impact and the ability to inspire confidence and positive action
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Ability to execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support
* Drive, resilience, focus and energy
* Strong customer focus
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/