£32k - £40k
The purchaser will form an integral part of the purchasing function in the achievement of operational objectives. With a strong, solid background in purchasing and supply chain management, the candidate will take a proactive approach in reviewing current systems and procedures, making recommendations and implementing improvements. The role is key to leading the company forward in securing quality suppliers of materials and components covering price, delivery and quality targets. Experience of purchasing from Far East countries would be an advantage.
Typical work activities
- Identify new suppliers, agree terms and negotiate supply agreements where appropriate, including discount structures and volume rebates.
- Forecasting levels of demand for products to meet the business needs and keeping a constant check on stock levels.
- Responsible for raising all purchase orders and ensuring there are no stock shortages.
- Conducting research to ascertain the best products and suppliers in terms of best value, delivery schedules and quality.
- Liaising between suppliers, manufacturers and relevant internal departments.
- Identifying potential suppliers, Visiting Existing Suppliers, and building and maintaining good relationships with them.
- Checking supplier invoices and authorising payments.
- Forecasting price trends and their impact on future activities.
- Devising an Organisations purchasing strategy.
- Producing reports and statistics using computer software.
- Ensuring suppliers are aware of business objectives.
- Attending meetings and trade fairs.
- Hands on approach to all tasks.
- Excellent negotiating techniques.
- Being amicable.
- Self-motivated, proactive and dynamic.
- Being analytical.
- Ability to take a proactive approach to overcome challenges and achieve results.
- Being professional, organised and diligent.
- Commercial and financial acumen.
Qualifications and Experience
- CIPS qualified - preferable
- Minimum 5 years previous experience in a purchasing role.
- Full Driving License Required.
- Fully conversant with modern procurement and purchasing techniques.
- Experience of purchasing from Far East countries would be an advantage.
- Proven track record of controlling and reducing external spend whilst developing a stable supplier base.
- Knowledge of the legal framework that surrounds supplier contracts.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint office applications.