Project Manager / Project Planner - Software
Project Manager / Project Planner required to manage the software development stream for a major programme of work. Working with development managers, project managers, business analysts and scrum teams to provide meaningful updates, plans and tracking for a large scale agile development programme. The ideal candidate will have a understanding or background in software development and agile environments and be able to collect, track and interpret information from development streams and represent it in a consolidated fashion for reporting, monitoring and measurement. Candidates must understand fully Project Management processes, including planning, execution, resource management, change management, risk and issue management, and stakeholder management.
Summary of role
- Interviews internal and external clients, determines project needs and priorities.
- Develops lists of tasks, defines their interdependencies, assigns resources, and tracks task progress to completion.
- Determines specific project deliverables, defines the process for the review and approval of deliverables, and specifies quality criteria for deliverables assessment.
- Defines project scope subject to management approval, establishes the process for altering the scope, and responds to requests for changes to the scope.
- Builds time estimates, develops project schedule, and addresses scheduling problems as they arise.
- Estimates project costs, prepares budget recommendations, and monitors and reports project performance to budget constraints.
- Develops, maintains, publishes and distributes comprehensive project plans.
- Identifies, mitigates and recommends alternatives on handling risks and issues that threaten the successful completion of the project within deadline.
- Monitors and reports project progress to objectives in timeframes, scope, quality, costs and risks. Receives information on project status, changes and issues. Identifies potential sources for solutions, and contacts appropriate parties to initiate action.
- Identifies areas within the business unit where process improvements may benefit project performance.
Project Planning & Management
- Delivery of projects according to agreed time/budget/scope/quality/change control criteria.
- Defining, sourcing and managing the necessary resources to complete these projects, making timely changes where necessary to achieve project objectives.
- Ensuring the development of accurate project plans and budgets, finding improvements to efficiency and effectiveness in the use of project resources, reporting variances to senior management where there is likely to be a significant impact on agreed delivery parameters.
- Effectively controlling the issues, risk, dependencies and changes in scope, ensuring timely intervention and communication to stakeholders.
- Conducting regular reviews of project outcomes, both internally with project team and with clients during and after the delivery has been completed.
Matrix Management and Practice Improvement
- Managing a project team to maximise quality and high performance outcomes.
- Providing technical and managerial leadership, mentoring, coaching and performance management of staff to ensure continual improvement in the skills necessary to manage projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Good understanding and application of Project Management competencies including stakeholder management, contractuals, scope, schedule, costs, quality, HR, communications, risk,
- procurement, and integration
- Good understanding and application of change management competencies
- Good leadership, coordination, motivation, negotiation and dispute resolution skills
- Good ability to manage relationships whilst maintaining trusted relationship with team and peers