SEN Teaching Assistant
We have an opportunity for a Higher Level Teaching Assistant to work alongside teaching staff supporting young people with SEN (Special Education Needs) at our client’s school in Arundel.
As a SEN Teaching Assistant you will complement and support the teachers’ delivery of the school curriculum and contribute to the development of students.
You will also work collaboratively with teachers in planning, monitoring, assessing and managing classes and to encourage students to become independent learners, supporting their welfare and their emotional and behavioural development.
As a SEN Teaching Assistant your responsibilities will include:
* Supervising classes and supporting teachers and students in lessons to achieve learning objectives
* Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people
* Understanding and implementing school safeguarding procedures and complying with statutory responsibilities
* Working with teachers to plan and prepare lessons and activities for students
* Developing and preparing resources for lessons and other activities in line with IEP’s and lesson plans
* Contributing to the planning of out of school contacts such as educational visits
* Working within a budget and maintaining financial records
* Providing detailed feedback and evaluation on lessons and student participation, achievement and further learning needs
* Motivating and engaging students learning with interesting and structured learning activities
* Being familiar with students learning and emotional needs through their IEPs objectives, PEPs and EHCPs
* Occasionally teaching whole classes or leading individual or small group lessons
* Ensuring that DFE and OFSTED standards are maintained to the highest standards
* Using behaviour management strategies to contribute to a purposeful learning environment, ensuring all students are safe, engaged and interacting positively
* Recognising and challenging any incidents or racism, bullying, harassment or inappropriate behaviour
* Developing and maintaining constructive relationships with parent/carers, ensuring the sharing of relevant information and facilitating support for attendance, access to learning and supporting home/school links
* Contributing to reports and attending meetings, supporting students and representing the school
To be successful in the role of SEN Teaching Assistant you must have / be:
* 5 GCSE’s to include Maths and English A-C (or level 2 equivalent)
* Additional qualifications to A level or Level 3 equivalent
* Able to forge and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, young people and their families as well as other professional organisations
* Able to communicate effectively with colleagues and others
* Evidence of training and successful assessment at HLTA level
* Able to understand the needs of a young person and meet those needs in a planned way
* Knowledge of child development with an ability to relate theory to practice
* Experience of working with young people with SEBD
* Emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours
* Basic computer skills
* Knowledge of Child Protection
* Basic principles of Equal Opportunities
* Willingness to undertake all training provided
Salary & Hours
For the role of SEN Teaching Assistant there is on offer a salary of £14,500 to £15,900 per annum and you will work 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The holiday entitlement you receive will be as per school holidays.
How to Apply
Please note that CV applications or calls from Recruitment Agencies will not be accepted.
Hot Recruitment Consultants t/a eRecruitSmart are the retained consultants for our client and may send your CV, if shortlisted, to the Hiring Manager at our Clients’ business and by applying for this position you give your consent for us to do so.
You must have eligibility to work in the UK. Please note, only suitable applicants will be contacted and incomplete CVs will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Teaching assistant, children, education, residential, care, social work, teacher