Lawyer (Civil Litigation)
- This is a 6 month contract.
- Office based role with requirement to travel in and out of county to courts and site visits and to visit people in their homes.
- Contribute to the delivery of services for Legal Services.
- Assist, as appropriate, with providing an integrated approach to performance management, quality standards and service delivery.
- Embedding new ways of thinking and working.
- Developing and maintaining strong, positive working relationships with commissioners, partners external clients and their teams/partners and across service areas as appropriate.
- To provide legal advice to members and senior officers, partners and other clients and carry a workload of appropriately complex and high profile, high risk matters and advise as required on public law and governance in support of clients' decision-making processes.
- To provide high quality efficient and effective legal and administrative advice and services to the client, partners and external customers to the highest standards of professional conduct and ethics and in a way that furthers and promotes good customer care within Legal Services.
- To undertake all legal services work whether advice, case work or assistance to other fee earners as required within the area of work designated in the post outline for the time being with minimal supervision and professional support.
- To give legal procedural and propriety advice to senior officers, elected members or other persons or bodies whose conduct or activities fall within the remit of the Monitoring Officer's duties as appropriate for grade and to follow all instructions of the Monitoring Officer or any deputy in relation to the conduct of any monitoring officer activities.
- To make the Monitoring Officer, the Chief Legal Officer, an Assistant Chief Legal Officer (or any other deputy) aware of any:- - matters that are of a critical nature - matters that are politically sensitive or high profile - problems in any areas of service or activity - instance in which any advice given by him/her has been refused or ignored, or - any proposals, decisions, actions or omissions that have, or would contravene any rule of law or code of practice or conduct or amount to maladministration.
- To assist in the investigation of complaints, particularly in relation to issues raised with the Ombudsman, any Inspectorate, or the Monitoring Officer.
- To develop strong and effective links with the users of the services provided by the post-holder and to notify any notable achievements, compliments, complaints, problems or issues relating to his/her work.
- Contribute to documents produced for internal and external communications purposes and participate in the presentation of training and development for customers, elected members and others.
- To operate all quality, information management and other systems, processes and procedures and to use ICT and other support services as instructed by the departmental management team.
- Taking day to day responsibility and providing leadership as appropriate to deliver the agreed priorities, working collaboratively with commissioning teams, partners and external customers and with colleagues in Legal Services.
- Maximising the impact of resources and value for money to achieve improved outcomes for partners and external customers.
- Take pride in own performance and ensure effective engagement with Legal Services performance management processes to deliver outcomes in line with service delivery obligations.
- Deliver a personal workload of advice, case work or support to other fee earners.
- Understand and work with Legal Services' target market and existing customers as appropriate, developing and maintaining relationships with commissioners, partners, external customers, service users, stakeholders and potential providers.
- Look to continuously improve services in area of responsibility, identifying where possible, value for money savings and ways of managing within allocated budgets.
- Remain up to date and compliant with all relevant legislation, organisational procedures, policies and professional codes of conduct in order to uphold standards of best practice.
- Take personal responsibility for contributing to organisational transformation and changes in ways of working, maximising the benefits and efficiencies for both internal and external customers, including the promotion and use of self -service to achieve maximum cost effectiveness.
- Must be a lawyer who holds a relevant qualification or has equivalent experience.
- Legal skills in one or more areas of expertise and a thorough and working knowledge of all relevant law and procedure in a specialist discipline.
- A good. broad, general working knowledge of the law applicable to local government commensurate with grade.
- Willing to adapt to new areas of work and take on tasks/duties related to his/her acquired field of expertise
- Interpersonal skills to enable the post-holder to operate at this level, often requiring sensitivity and diplomacy.
- Management of a full and substantial workload of matters commensurate with his/her level of expertise.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81978867